Using MAX as a Precision Design Tool?

MegaPixel

Originally posted by MegaPixel:

I can't find this "Auto-Edge" modifier you're talking about for imported mesh cleanup. Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I've selected all of the edges in my mesh, but when I scroll down in the panel or Modifier panel, I don't see the Auto-Edge which you refer to.

Thanks

it's not in the modifier list, it's in the sub-object modification stack.

select all the object's edges, then keep on looking down until you see the auto-edge option under surface properties :)

filepush.asp?file=aut1.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of getting chewed, I don't see a "Surface Properties" dialog box. All I have is the basic sub-object menu with a Soft selection Dialog box. Remember, this is an imported stereolithography file and not a MAX generated object that might have surface parameters built in.

OK I'm ready for my spanking :rolleyes:

LOL Thanks for putting up with me Strat. Ovcourse it was there, not sure what the hell I was doing before. At any rate, It seemed to work nicely. Now all I see is the bounding edges of the wireframe which will look much better when I do the composite Wire/Shaded renders.

Thanks again Man. Now if you can just answer the other 500 questions I have...

Megapixel:

To use the autoedge tool - you have to be in egde sub-object mode. It won't show up in the surface properties if you are in any other sub-oject mode.

side note:

Hey - it took me about a 6-8 months to learn viz/max well enough to be proficient. I purchased a book (Inside 3D Studio Viz 3 by Jeremy Hubbell & Ted Boardman) and went through over christmas break (while I was in school still). Also I read a lot of information only (cgarchitect.com, cgtalk.com, autodesk newsgroups for viz,....) and learned tons more from other people's problems / experiences. Best of luck.

Xavier

Originally posted by MegaPixel:

[QB] I come from a Technical Design Field where precision modeling is required. I use parametric solid modelers such as Solidworks and ProE for 3D Design ... I also use AutoCad for 2D design. "

You can download a free plug-in from Autodesk that works with AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop and Autodesk Inventor. This plug-in allows you to create the geometry in a parametric app from autodesk and open it in VIZ/MAX. Also, Architectural Desktop 2004 has VIZ rendenring capability built in. Inventor files can be opened natively in VIZ/MAX.

This is more in line with how a building is constructed and gives you more oppurtunities to provide subtle variations that create a more distinctive design.
I didn't notice your very comprehensive post until just now Jefferson. Yeah that makes perfect sense to me now i must say. Yeah buildings do tend to have a lot of repetitive elements. I will try to see these when i am modelling from now on.

This whole approach about modelling in MAX, as you say runs totally contradictory to the way i model something at the moment. I will certainly see if i can adjust myself around to your way of using max though. I am going to spend a few hours on the computer this weekend experimenting with that.

I have used things like transform pull down pick, before too. I used to make helper grid objects, align them where i wanted - give them some name i would easily remember, such as 'west site slanting wall' or something, and pick the grid as my transform coordinate system.

Then i always knew my geometry was put together from disparate elements (File>merge i used alot, as oposed to layers) was in exactly specified alignments. Easy to use, powerful, intuitive and fast.

Gee, i had totally forgotten how much stuff there was in MAX/VIZ which did work well, which is a chore to do in some other programs. Actually now that i think about it, in good CAD modellers like Bentley, AutoCAD etc... the coodinate system can be a bit awful at times. UCS isn't bad, but auxilliary planes in M_Station is totally sour.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=SkydomeRendertest.jpg

Ok Here is an example of a House model that I did in MAX which relied heavily on imported AutoCAD shapes to do. I wound up Extruding individual wall segments, then attached them together towards the end to MAP all of them at once. Same thing with the Roof sections allthough I got lazy about the trimming and just kind of pushed them into the bigger roof until they looked right. I did this in one working day. Yes it was a horrible modeling style, but because I used the CAD sketches, the building is now dimensionaly accurate in every way. I guess for quick results, I can't argue with what I've done. However, it still would have been faster had I completly modeled it in Solidworks then imported in. Anyhow, you guys might as well critic the image while your looking at it. I could use all of the advice i can get. Thanks

I think the most important thing i can carry away with me, is the idea of instancing the geometry that you use to construct the windows or columns (repetitive objects) in max. That was, you can still change the object and have you model update itself instantly.

Same as redefining a block in AutoCAD - or block editing which it now supports.

For instance, those covered elements to the garage door could be something you can reference, and change later if needs be.

It will take me some time, to learn how to think like this, but it is probably the way forward in a software like MAX. Use its advantages most of all, and put up with any short comings.

One of the things that I use for modeling in max is kind of a hold over from cad drafting. If I wan to to align say some vertex in the z plane I will copy the coordinate from the z box at the coordinate field on the bottom of the screen. Then I will go the the vertex I want to mave & paste teh number there. It's just like the align tool but gives me the added feature of being able to view the actual dimension and location so I know I have the corrrect info also if I am doing alot of vertexes it goes pretty quick. Another way to do this is right click on the move icon (or scale or rotate) but I find that a touch more cumbersome.

Kind of basic stuff but it might help someone.

[ May 30, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Sawyer ]

That sounds kind of interesting Sawyer. Maybe you could email me with a slightly more in depth description of that technique. Something I recently discovered to be a very useful tool is the 2.5 snap tools. It restricts your selections movement to one plane, however it allows you to snap to vertexs, endpoints, etc. throughout the scene. For the longest time, I thought there was only a 3D snap - Silly me.

The Align tool in max is probably the most under utilized command. I prefer it over using snaps whenever possible, but I agree that it is completely useless in subobject mode. Another one of my facorite tools is the array along a path command(pull down from the array command). Used in combination with lofting, you can create some complicated curtain wall systems in minutes, not hours.

If I wan to to align say some vertex in the z plane I will copy the coordinate from the z box at the coordinate field on the bottom of the screen. Then I will go the the vertex I want to mave & paste teh number there.

Something I recently discovered to be a very useful tool is the 2.5 snap tools. It restricts your selections movement to one plane, however it allows you to snap to vertexs, endpoints, etc.

Another one of my facorite tools is the array along a path command(pull down from the array command). Used in combination with lofting, you can create some complicated curtain wall systems in minutes, not hours.

Funny thing is, alot of commands/operations/methodology like this was in MiniCAD and other little known softwares back in the later nineties. But no professional would ever waste the time, using MiniCAD, if they could use VIZ/MAX R1 instead (with AutoCAD).

I think what Nemetsche have done with Vectorworks, is great because at least some more architects out their could afford to buy and learn something like that - start modelling - getting to know about these concepts and over time graduate onto using MAX etc.

But Autodesk really does need a Vectorworks type of sub $1000 appliation like that, which is SIMPLE to use. Architectural Studio might be that program, but i will have to play the trial version of 3.1 some more, this month.

For me though, the real professional systems are still the Triformas, Lightwaves, ALL plans, ArchiCADs etc.

I think that MAX is kind of half way in between the low-end modellers and the very best modellers. So it isn't a bad program for people moving in either direction. I.e. Top-down, or bottom up. In future, i imagine alot more people are going to meet in the middle. I have been working with architects for years now, and MAX is a bit 'far' of a leap often, but MiniCAD modelling, or MicroStation or AutoCAD extrude/solids commands aren't too bad.

Especially when i 'learn' the architect how to properly navigate around using viewing tools. (MOst are reeeeeally bad in that sense) not being used to opengl acceleration in Lightwave or MAX. Viewing tools in MiniCAD used to be hilarious. You simply HAD to used a 'saved views' dialogue box and that was 'viewing tools' full stop. The only graphics acceleration was 'Apple's own Quickdraw', or 'quick - mud' more like.

The powerdraft driver for Quadro is exceptionally good with AutoCAD, but too many of the architect's boxes are still just integrated or rage pros/TNTs MX etc, etc.

"Especially when i 'learn' the architect how to properly navigate around using viewing tools. (MOst are reeeeeally bad in that sense) not being used to opengl acceleration in Lightwave or MAX. Viewing tools in MiniCAD used to be hilarious. You simply HAD to used a 'saved views' dialogue box and that was 'viewing tools' full stop. The only graphics acceleration was 'Apple's own Quickdraw', or 'quick - mud' more like."

You just hit upon what separates the high end programs from the cream of the crop. If you have a NVIDIA board with the Maxtreme drivers, it is bliss for inreactive real-time display modelling. I do a lot of work where the client provides me hand drawn plans and sketches. With the proper open GL/ Heide drivers, you can display textures at super hi-res. Do I sound like I am gloating over Max yet? Anyway, this is essential in the line of work that I do. I need a software package that can provide hi-quality realtime dsiplay feedback. It is not always the best technology when dealing with complicate models, SW Zbuffer is always the way to go when assmebling 1 million+ polygon scenes. But for making the "pieces and parts", Heide is the way to go. I highly recomend an NVIDIA Based Quadro card for serious precision modellingi Max. Get dual displays fired up under this system, and you will never go back!

I couldn't resist commenting on this topic. We have seen topics like this one before and I think that we'll see more in the future. Here is my approach:

I used to use AutoCAD to do all my modeling. But it wasn't until I migrated to 3dsMAX that I realize that AutoCAD is limited as a modeling program. Yes I know, AutoCAD is very precise but it lacks on viewing tools and flexibility. After all it is a 2D package.

Now, I do everything in 3dsMAX even the 2D that I need to start my work. Of course I still import 2D from AutoCAD but I mostly use it as a reference. Actually, in the end it is kind of irrelevant to size up a software as a good or bad modeling tool. If you know your program and are a good problem solver then you can always come up with a solution. Precision and speed will come along with experience and experimentation that's all. Personally, I love MAX and I will never go back to AutoCAD.

BTW Jefferson,

I also own a Quadro 2 Pro. I'm curious to know what settings you are using. where do you get your drivers from? I'm using direct3D. Could you explain yourself a little bit more? I have been trying to get my Card to perform at its best. Thanks.

As promised here is my post camping tip:

This is an extreme close up of a spline with some vertex. Highlighted in blue is the cartesian coordinate placement for x,y,z coords. Instead of using snaps (incase you don't like em) You can highlight the value right click/copy (or control c) and paste it into the cooresponding texct box of the vertex you want to move.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=vertexalignment.jpg

Hi all,

I just read the whole thread from top to bottom - yes I've not been around for a while... - and I must say I still love modelling in max too.

Previously swore by modelling in autocad because modelling in 3dsdos3/4 sucked (F2/F3/F4: anyone remembers this?) I started using max1 as a rendering tool. It did not take long for me to realise that max was as precise as autocas, for the job we do.

Basicly, max is 'correct' to about 0.001, which is more precise than necessary for our kind of job.

Many people do not realise the handy things in max, but one of you summurized it in a superb way: use max-tools for it's outstanding tricks, and learn to compensate for what it's not capable to do. The latter being rather very very small imho.

Here is a list of things that scares people of at first, but for which max has it's own very good methods.

- instance, reference, copy --> change one, change all / a few / none

- align: use align tool, copy xyz coordinates in the transform floater OR even (in sub-object mode) align to the outer contours and move relatively using the transform box.

- 2.5 snap / endpoint, vertex, midpoint

- keyboard entry

- parametric: model now, change later

- sub-object boolean (excellent for facades): draw spline, click OFF start new shape or attach in spline mode

- bevel instead of extrude: much nice control of edges

- scripts: don't underestimate a layout/workflow with customised buttons, controls, tools etc.

And why not max?

- modelling in one program saves headaches and a lot pain in the ass trying to solve how to export/import without losing details.

- modelling, rendering, animating in the same environment

- compensation for 'missing tools/tricks' but far more interesting native tools

hmmm... just some toughts...

rgds

nisus

Some very good tips there, thanx very much for putting that all together, i am/was familiar with most of those commands. But it is useful to read them all together listed like that, by someone who obviously knows what they are talking about.

I first started learning Dos 3dstudio in 1994/95 myself. Boy, we had high hopes back then. :ngelaugh:

I actually presented some cg stuff for and architectural interior shop project in early 1996 using 3ds for DOS. Man, printing out that repetitive floor texture in the colour inkject - hot stuff back then.

Unfortunately the people you won the actual competition to design the shop interior but a big huge physical real model, and put lights inside it. Then photographed it with a B exposure in the dark, printing the negs onto large glossy photography paper and it made our 3DStudio stuff look like dog's vomit.

It was some years later around 2000/01 when i finally began to take 3d Studio seriously again.

(when the first geforce cards began to hit the scene and 3dfx monopoly was crumbling).

Pretty interesting thought provoking stuff here i think:

http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=100020125