Render 16bits images

Kiri

Hi all, I'm trying to understand how to render images in 16bits for video purposes to enhance color grading possibilities in post, I unchecked color clamp and chose linear multiply color environment, and I'm saving in hdr format, but I'm obviously missing something, and possibly doing everything wrong.

Could anyone help me?..

I unchecked color clamp and chose linear multiply color environment, and I'm saving in hdr format...

HDR is really for 32bit floating-point files. I'm sure its fine, but you could also use TIFF in 16bit, or possibly Photoshop's .psd (available in C4D, don't know about Max). Reducing or turning off colormapping is also more a 32bit thing. Use whatever colormapping you would for an 8bit render when you render to 16bit. I use 16bit TIF as my default. Once I've opened the image in Photoshop and done the big transforms of brighness/contrast and curves or levels, then I dumb the image down to 8bit if I need to use filters that don't work in 16bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...

Hi there!

It sounds like you're on the right track with your efforts to render images in 16 bits for video purposes. Enabling a wider dynamic range can indeed enhance color grading possibilities in post-production. However, if you're experiencing some issues, there might be a few additional factors to consider. Firstly, ensure that your software or editing program supports 16-bit rendering and HDR formats. Double-checking the settings and preferences related to color depth and color space might also be helpful. When saving your final output, HDR format is a good choice as it preserves a broader range of colors and luminance. Make sure you're using a compatible HDR format that suits your requirements. If you're still encountering difficulties, it could be beneficial to seek guidance from online forums or communities specializing in video production or color grading. They can offer specific advice based on the software or tools you're using. Sharing screenshots or more detailed information about your workflow might also assist others in pinpointing the issue. Don't get discouraged! Learning and mastering new techniques takes time, and reaching out for help is a great step towards improvement. Good luck, and I hope you find the assistance you need to achieve your desired results