quazi monte carlo vs irradiance map

mervin_lim23

Here's a question that always playing in my mind. which of the two options is better to use in the first bounce? i always use irradiance map in my first bounce coz its faster as far as rendering process is concerned. but one time i used QMC as my first bounce but the rendering time took me a century but achieved almost the same quality image output as IR. i which case what would be better? :confused:

thanks stephen for that fast response. :D but what do you mean by BF? is that BRUTE FORCE? another question are they the same?(BF & QMC) sorry for that sissy question coz im using MAX 9. i encountered BF the time i installed max 2009.

Here another throw-in question. i always set my IR in high mode in almost anythingwhether its a simple or a complex scene. in evaluating a scene, when and how to determine what amount of IR value necessary to put in a scene for me to save rendering time? :)

yes brute force is qmc.

as for your other question, that can only be answered by experience. just clicking on HIGH when you render is not very good. doing this you dont optimise your scene for correct rendering with fastest times and quality, and you dont learn anything. i NEVER click on the high medium or low settings as they're never good enough for my needs. i always tweek those defaults. always.

your best way to answer the question is for you to learn yourself. start test rendering and pressing buttons. try things out. experiment. thats the only real way to learn and get the best from your system. thats how the pros learn ;)

Second that. Besides, every scene is different and unique, with its own geometry, size, materials, etc. There is no standard settings (although Vlado has posted years ago some setup called Universal Settings, which is basically a very precise/time consuming setup that is meant to work with everything. Not very practical, though.)

yes brute force is qmc.

as for your other question, that can only be answered by experience. just clicking on HIGH when you render is not very good. doing this you dont optimise your scene for correct rendering with fastest times and quality, and you dont learn anything. i NEVER click on the high medium or low settings as they're never good enough for my needs. i always tweek those defaults. always.

your best way to answer the question is for you to learn yourself. start test rendering and pressing buttons. try things out. experiment. thats the only real way to learn and get the best from your system. thats how the pros learn ;)

thanks strat for that wonderful tip. dont worry i well try to tweek on those settings. i never tried tweeking them and this is the best time to learn

Hi Mervin,

To be honest there is no such thing as 'better' in an all round

sense, only 'better' for the particular project you are working

on! It is one of VRay's great strengths that it provides a

number of GI methods each of which have strengths and

weaknesses depending on the type of scene/setup that you

are working with.

As has already been said though, just choosing a preset and

going with it is not really the most optimal solution. With some

learning of the controls you can slash render times whilst keeping

image quality either equal to, or even higher than a simple preset

choice.

Regards

Bri

thanks mr brian for that tip. dont you worry i will lear how to tweek those settings:D

Second that. Besides, every scene is different and unique, with its own geometry, size, materials, etc. There is no standard settings (although Vlado has posted years ago some setup called Universal Settings, which is basically a very precise/time consuming setup that is meant to work with everything. Not very practical, though.)

thanks rick for droppin in my thread. thanks :)