Cats and Dogs

Spongebob

In the real world you can't make it through one day without someone attempting to give you a cat or a dog as a pet. They multiply like crazy and people generally loose interest in them rather quickly.

However when I try to find a decent 3D model of one I am stumped. I have tried countless searches through google and have obtained collections such as Infografics and I still have very little.

Does anyone know where I can find a few good cat and dog models for 3dsmax/viz?

I am doing a set of renders for a high-class kennel where rich people take their foo-foo pets when they have to catch the concorde to Paris. I already told the client that I can insert a few pets in reclining positions (totally at ease with their environment) for scale, but now I cannot find any other than the free boxer which everyone offers.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Spongebob

Detroit, MI

Check www.turbosquid.com - select "models & meshes" from "type" list, then enter keyword "dog". I saw 84 results on there, with what looked like a few decent ones. Anything from de Esponsa (sp?) usually kicks ass all around (in my experience) and is worth the extra $. (They -de Esponsa - also offer EVERYTHING they've done in a library for like $500 - I don't think it can be beat considering the quality).

Ken Walton

Oh Boy!

I am glad you decided to go with a genderless dog or else this thread might get blocked.

Thank you all for your ideas.

Turbosquid did have one good dog, but standing to attention. I'm afraid they are looking for lying down - this is to prove that the kennels are roomy enough to stretch out.

As for Poser, I do not have access to it.

I suppose I will have to attempt to model them myself. Eeeek! I hope they don't find melting pets to be disturbing. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Spongebob

Originally posted by Spongebob:

Oh Boy!

I'm afraid they are looking for lying down - I suppose I will have to attempt to model them myself. Eeeek!

Eeeek! is right. Model them?

I just looked at Poser4 (I don't have 5 yet) and it has a fish, cat, dog, dolphin, frog, horse, velociraptor, rattlesnake and wolf (which looks like dog #2, of course). There are canned poses for most or all of these. The program outputs .obj files, among others. I don't relish the idea of putting time into this, but the thought of you modeling these yourself seems worse. Let me know about whether you can handle a few overly-polygon-rich models and the specific animals (from the list) and the poses and I will try to export one or two to see if it works, more if in does.

I gave a try to exporting the cat in those two poses. It worked very well.

Poser wrote two .3ds files of about 500K, with the texture file being about 800K. I imported the files into Lightscape and found them to be perfect, except for a 90 degree rotation around X or Y. I simply applied the texture to the model and the UV co-ords were where they were supposed to be. Simple.

To do any of the canned poses is therefore EXTREMELY easy and quick. To make a dog lie down would require I pose it myself. I must confess a severe dog-phobia, so it will make me uneasy. But I can do it, I think. You sure you wouldn't rather use the dolphin? Everybody likes dolphins.

With the texture maps you can create variations of each animal.

Email me so I can send you the two cats and we can see about anything else (your address is hidden on the board).