Photoshop CS4 or Elements

JMBknvc

All right, here is a simple question. What are the major features difference between the two? What I mean is, what functions can be preformed in CS4 that Elements 7 can not? I ask the question with Architectural Rendering in mind.

The reason for the question is that I know Autodesk VIZ was a lite version of 3D Studio Max. However, VIZ still could preform all the same functions as MAX except 2 or 3 functions and if you knew MAX Script you had a full version of 3D Studio Max for half the cost. I also know VIZ was always a release behind the current 3D Studio MAX Release.

So, with that infromation and knowing we are working mainly on Architectural Renderings, what are the major advantages CS4 has over Elements?

I think the option of going with Elements depends on what you are planning to do. You are correct that elements is a stripped down version. For architectural graphics I propably only use 25 of the full Photoshop package. CS4 does have some good features but I realize that cost is most likely an issue. I think that there are demo versions of elements out there that you can try, to see if it is going to do what you need it to do. I would look on the Adobe website.

The main difference between CS4 and elements is that photoshop elements is a massive pile of s**t. No kidding. It sickens me to even look at the interface.

If you are not too familiar with photoshop in the first place then elements may be alright. But once you've gained even the slightest experience with photoshop it becomes impossible to use elements.

There are lots of small things missing from elements - masks, some colour correction stuff, smart objects - but when added up they really ruin your workflow.

In short, elements appears to be simple photo editing software. CS4 is gods gift to mankind.

I have a work around (for Elements 2) for not having masks. That would have been the deal breaker for me. Without it I would have gone off robbing banks to get real Photoshop. I did a lot of fair enough work in E2 over the years. Nothing fancy.

Now that I have real Photoshop (yay for being a student) I am extra happy. But I can't make a comparison between CS4 and Elements 7, only E2, sorry. Though a quick look at the web leads me to believe that Elements is trying to be a magic button fixit rather than a useful box of tools. Also, though, it looks like the real tools are still there so it still should be capable, they just encourage you to use the hobbyist magic.

Elements Mask Workaround

Sorry, I forget the jargon involved so the description will be a little unofficial ;-)

Start off with a layer you want to mask.

Make another layer. I usually just duplicate the one, but it doesn't really matter.

On the layer list, if you alt-click between the two layers when the pointer turns into a two circles (I think it is) picture the top layer will be clipped to the lower layer.

I find it easier to remove the bits I don't want, so fill the lower layer or paint it or what have you.

Then you can use erase and brush to remove and replace parts of the lower layer. This is the same as black and white painting on a mask. Instead of "x" and "x" you have to use "e" and "b" for hot keys. Not that harsh.

You can use soft brushes and semi-transparent ones and do blurs and all that on the "mask" layer. Use the selection tools and backspace to erase specific areas or fill to put them back.

It's not masks, but it's workable.

Rather than buying Elements, try GIMP. http://www.gimp.org/

Plenty of support, a lot more tools and functions than Elements and best of all... FREE! Hey, try it and if you don't like it it's cost you nothing. It does lack 32-bit support at the moment, but that should be addressed in an upcoming version. Most of the other tools and functions are there in some form or another.