lighting techniques

Chris_Mac

Well, seeing as I'm one of the few members using form Z i thought i should take the chance to get into a bit of discussion about it.

So....

I am really interested in what lighting techniques other users utilize.

With form z not providing a GI solution, i have often used methods to 'fake' radiosity - ussually using between 50 and 100 lights.

Do others prefer more simple methods? Has anyone managed to get decent results (and by decent, i mean somewhere near as good as lightscape) with Form Z radiosity? I would be interested in seeing some renders - i don't recall ever seeing any on the web.

Anyway, i'd be interested to hear from other users, especially within architectural visualisation.

thanks.

They probably have some images on their site with radiosity examples. The times I've tried, it was never worth it to continue (for photoreal, anyway - it was fun to use for abstract imagery). You can get decent results with regular point lights to fill interior spaces, though.

Its almost as good as anything else out there (even LS) but I don't think its human to try achiving anything like that with the way FMZ radiosity work at the moment.
Yes, that's my opinion at the moment.... so i'm using a 'fakosity' technique...

If you look at my website www.realise3d.com you'll see a few examples in the portfolio section.

Do any other FZ users on CGArchitect have some online work to share?

Ya I have a few images on my site.

www.350-degrees.com

goto: 3D services - then - 3D visualization

These are all done in formZ without radiosity.

By the way I checked out your site, nice work, good detail. I noticed that all your interiors have a lot of sun coming through the windows. I tend to have overcast days in my renderings, maybe it has something to do with living in chicago.

I noticed that all your interiors have a lot of sun coming through the windows. I tend to have overcast days in my renderings, maybe it has something to do with living in chicago.
:D

I tend to put a lot of sunlight in my renderings cause clients dont really like to see overcast weather in their renders.

However, if u have ever been to Scotland you'll know that we very rarely have sunny days!!!!

-

Had a look at your site Munz - some great work! What did you use for the animations? I only ever do very simple animations ( cant afford another 3d package to animate and render in :( )

"What did you use for the animations?"

I work with another computer animator when I do animations usually. We have used max (what really happens), softimage (350 logo), and maya (the visitor) for animating. We are still deciding on what program we want to use long term for animation, there are pros and cons for all of them. I really like maya for animating and everything but modeling.

formz does not write their own rendering engine. lightworks writes the rendering engine that is included in z. the examples of formz's radiosity on their homepage are weak. i am guessing this is because formz as a company is concerened with creating a modeling application instead of a rendering/animation.

i do not think the lightworks rendering engine in z is the full blown rendering engine it uses in its own software, but you could probably get a better idea of what the rendering engine is capable of on their site.

http://www.lightworkdesign.com/lw_aec_gallery.htm

...i use formz renderzone everyday. in my experience, formz can create great stylized renderings, but if you want a perfect photoreal feel, use a different app for rendering. no cut on z, it is a great modeler (best in field of architecture), but the rendering enviroment in z, has has always left something to be desired.

[ December 22, 2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: crazy homeless guy ]

bigcahunak...

i am looking forward to the release of version 4. i am thinking it will start shipping in mid to the end of feb.. the lightworks rendering engine in version 4 has not been upgraded. if i remember correctly, formz uses version 6.5 of lightworks. lightworks just released version 7.0, which is supposed to have some good improvements, but it was released to late to be included in version 4 of z.

plug-ins to incorporate other rendering engines in z will be nice. the plug-ins will have to be user written, or written by the developer of the rendering engine. i think formz does not want to create tension over there current contract with lightworks.

i would like to see a brazil plug-in.

Welcome aboard Homeless.

Hope you'll find a home here...

The Z radiosity is capable. As I said earlier, it is capable but its so hard to understand and use that most ppl give up on it and either settle with reder zone, or export to other renderers.

Here is an image which is on the FMZ CD and I have no idea by whom, but I just thought its a good example for Zs' radiosity capability.

filepush.asp?file=office.jpg

I hope that with ver 4 and the possibility for plugins we'll see some renderers for FMZ as well.

plug-ins to incorporate other rendering engines in z will be nice. the plug-ins will have to be user written, or written by the developer of the rendering engine.
That interests me as well.... does anyone know what the chances are of something like brazil or finalrender, or possibly an animation package like project:messiah, being released for form Z in the future?