little help with ground texture(dirt)

Billabong

I have to do a closeup up the baseball field I have been working on and I have been trying to get the dirt part to actually look right, with no luck. I have been using Niel Blevins tutorial on using mix maps to combine 3 dirt maps, but its just not looking right. Ive attached images of what my dirt texture looks like rendered and the bitmaps Im using and what I need to achieve.

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks for any help

-B

Hey Russell. Thanks so much for chiming in man, I am really struggling with this.

Right now I have 3 different dirt maps in a composite in the diffuse channel. Im using a Blurbeta noise and a Blurbeta electric as the two masks. and a large scale noise in the bump channel, plus a vray displacement modifier set, set very low to try and break it up a little, but for some reason the other maps arnt really showing up.

I attached some images so show you.

Thanks again

-B

I think having all your opacities at 100% is hurting you and that having a base at 100% and tweaking the other two to say 70% (play with them) might help it all fade into one another.

Bookins also did a random grass tutorial using multiple planes and opacity maps that might be applicable to this scenario as well:

http://www.3dallusions.com/forums/tutorials/3661-creating-random-grass.html

I do composites and blends all the time and typically only one material if that is 100%, I try for subtle finese! ;)

Edited by Russell L. Thomas