offset error

quizzy

Anyone had the same error as I am experiencing??

If I want to offset a pline, if I offset it inwards the inwards generated pline mysteriously moves to the 0,0 point...

I found some information on the support site of autodesk. There was a lisp routine to solve this: its a offset lisp routine wich is very un-useable.

And what I don't understand is that the error occurs in some drawings but not all of them.

THIS IS TOTALLY F@#%KED UP!!!

Well to be short: Is our knowlegde exceeding the autodesks support desk knowledge?? Let me know please, I need help... orangecry orangemad :ngesighw: orangeno

hi quizzy,

i am sorry but i didnt have that experience not even once in 9 years working almost everyday with autocad....but...i think its allways a first time for everything... ;)

well...i cant help you in this one ... but if you post here your file, i can test it tommorrow at the office.

best to you,

nuno

I don't think I've ever had THAT problem with ACAD before either, but am curious if the pline you were trying to offset had radiued corners? Sometimes funky things do happen in that situation when you try to offset something just a little too far.

I've had the exact same problem before and it stinks! :ngeupset: Our cad guru here explained that it is because of a bug in the offset command under "certain situations". He gave me a lisp routine that copies the pline to 0,0 then offsets the lines, then copies it back to original spot.

If the pline isn't too compicated, I usually explode it offset the parts, fillet, and then rejoin the pline. :angesigh:

I'd like to know if you find a better answer.

Colin

Hi

I have had similar issues with clients who use AutoCAD based land design software. Complex polylines do have issues with offsets especially if they are a long way from the World Origin point in an AutoCAD file. Importing survey data often has co-ordinates based on National map co-ordinate systems resulting in large numbers for the coords. This is where I have had issues and will move the pline to 0,0, offset it and move it back. I get the feeling the issue is related to the floating point precision limits (which I understand is 64 bit) in the AutoCAD dwg database.

Have a look at this link to find out more about the issue:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2879538&linkID=2475323

Hope this helps

Kerry Thompson

yep that out of range seems to be the problem, my 0,0 is about 500 KM away from my actual drawing. The complexity of my plines have no influence at all, even a simple rectangle does not work. Maybe it works when I put my units precision to a lesser scale.. let me check... NOPE... don't like this att all... It just shouldn't do this..