AutoCAD and VIZ/MAX

CHE

Well i use Autocad and max together for about 6 years now, and what i've learned is that you don't do 3D in Autocad. Make polylines in Autocad instead and extrude them in MAX. First you have much more control, because you don't have editable meshes but a modifier stack to work with. Second draw all polylines which need to be extruded the same amount in one layer, and import your drawing by layer in MAX. Be sure to check the weld option, and "convert to single objects"

if you have any other questions feel free....

Guest Timon Cain

I have had no problems just importing a dwg file into Max, as long as everything is built out of solids. I have had problems with surface models with faces pointing in the wrong direction in Max. That's one reason I avoid surface modeling in Autocad.

Hey Quizzy, its nice to see someone else modeling in the same manner that I have been for years now. I basically use autocadd as a spline editor and do all of the 3D stuff in Max as well. Much faster that way methinks. True, we aren't taking advantage of the automatic editing features in ADT (Architectural DeskTop) but they take so long to configure in the first place I figure whats the point!

Hello, I am wondering, if you build a model (house) in architectural desktop and place doors and windows. When you import them into VIZ. Will Viz recognize them as windows and doors, or editable meshes ? if so, is there a way to make them work seamlessly ?

Guest ppherrer

If you work only in AutoCAD to make the model, the prefect way is trought the line command : 3DSOUT, select the 3d objects (nothing of 2D) and save in your disk. That`s all. Import in VIZ (File/import in Viz 2 or 4; or Insert/3DStudio in Viz 3.x) 3DS mantain the layers, the colors, anything. There are other forms if you work with polylines, export to Viz or Max and extrude there. Or use ADT, to export the DWG 3d model to VIZ. All the ways go to Rome.

Good Luck

Pablo Herrera

Guest csarategui

Hi Ernesto

I suggest the use of File Link Manager inside the VIZ, it lets import an autocad drawing (better if it is a Architectural Desktop Model) keeping a link with the original file.

Thats means if the AutoCAD drawing changes you can reload it in VIZ and the model will be update, if you chage anything in the model in VIZ you could save it back in the dwg file.

It works pretty well.

Regards,

Cristina

Guest MarkH

Ernesto,

I've been using Acad to generate most of the solids in my models. Now the reason for that is that I haven't had the time to devote to learning Viz/3Dsmax. You WILL always run into the same annoying problem when importing the dwg files. Triangulated faces. No getting around it. As long as you just use Viz or 3D studio for texture mapping (watch your mapping coordinates on those faces), lighting, etc. acad does a decent job. Now, if you are using acad to do most of the modeling, you might want to read up on Lightscape...

I use ADT R3 and I prepare the file the same way I prepare a file to import into MAX.

1) Saveas another file.

2) Explode all the ADT objects once, which leaves all the objects as blocks of 3dfaces.

3) Import as dwg into MAX/VIZ/Lightscape

This is not a perfect solution as you do not have a link back to ADT, but I have not had any problems with face normals. Also I believe when you import do not select "unify normals" as ACAD already gernerates normals correctly(use with ACIS & exploded ADT objects).

Just one more way.

Tom

Ok, I have tried Pablo's and Cristina's tips and tricks.

I used the 3DSOUT command and then I imported the file to VIZ like Pablo said. It worked well but sometimes the normals didn't look right. In some areas of the model the walls didn't come out right, it seems like they are curved or something, if you know what I mean. Althought the file is really small and it is really easy to play around with.

Then I tried Cristina's way, It worked better, I didn't get mistakes in the model at all, it respected my layers and everything. The problem was that the file size was bigger than the first one and it really slowed down the viewports.

I don't have a bad workstation, I mean I'm using an AMD XP 2000+ , IWILL XP-333-R, 758MBS PC-3000 and an Elsa Gloria III.

So, I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix those problems. Thanks again.

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help that was given. I'll keep in touch with y'all. By the way, Jeff I love your web page man, it's the best ever. Thanks a lot! for everything.

Ernesto

[ April 23, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Hey guys! have you ever try exporting a .dwg file to a .sat file (ACISII) (ACISOUT). Make sure you change the ACIS system variable by 5 (ACISOUTVER). Then link the .sat file in VIZ by layers and make sure you have the "auto smooth" checkbox off and increase or decrease the value of curve step value. Let me know if it works better, I'll try it tonight. Happy renderings to y'all.

[ April 26, 2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Ernesto Pacheco:

[QB] Does somebody knows what is the best way to import an AutoCAD 3D model to VIZ or MAX."

You can download a free plug-in from Autodesk that works with AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop and Autodesk Inventor. This plug-in allows you to create the geometry in a parametric app from autodesk and open it in VIZ/MAX. Also, Architectural Desktop 2004 has VIZ rendenring capability built in. Inventor files can be opened natively in VIZ/MAX.

Hey guys

Just a tip

Import the dwg 3d model

select an object

apply the modifier OPTIMIZE

check the AUTO EDGE box

shazam!

To say the true i hate modeling in Autocad, i make everything on MAX

i simply import the lines, freeze it and do the geometry based on it

i can do this very fast

Wilson Iwazawa cool2.gif

I've been an AutoCAD user for... 12 years(?!damn, that's depressing), 10 of which have included 3D work. Recently I started to learn max/viz from an associate and was taught a somewhat disturbing, but highly effective "trick".

Instead of my normal "solid" modeling technique(extruded regions) I was told to go back to my very first "fake-3D" technique of "thickness" added to plines instead. When imported into max, the modifier stack shows them as "editable splines" with an "extrude" modifier added.

Goes against my previous AutoCAD training, but for max/viz it makes total sense :)

-=Anthony