Problem with display in ACAD

Alex Ryan Rubio

Helo guys i need help on this. I do most of my 3d in ACAD because of its precision and ease... I then link it to max using file linking utility. In max, it turns out ok.. so my problem is the display in acad. I find it hard to visualize my model because the display is all messed up when viewed in isometric. I see objects which are supposed to be hidden, get missing faces, dirty display. Can you guys share your display settings or find any way to solve this? :mad:

"max has different display options, autocad doesn't." Umm... huh?

I guess you haven't played around with AutoCAD's Wireframe/Hidden/Flat Shaded/and Gouraud Shaded modes then, eh?

ALEX - have you tried the different 3D Display options?? Sounds like something is messed up with your settings there - try HEIDI as a temp fix (cuz its SLOW), and see if that solves the problem.

Originally posted by Hazdaz:

"max has different display options, autocad doesn't." Umm... huh?

I guess you haven't played around with AutoCAD's Wireframe/Hidden/Flat Shaded/and Gouraud Shaded modes then, eh?

Originally posted by STRAT:

all you can do in acad is use shade and hide.

those are obviously the options im talking about ;)

[ May 27, 2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

I experience same problem with Max when I have too small objects in one scene, say I use Meter as my unit, then there are woods with 0.2 thickness and they start to mess. maybe similar to your problem either when you export it or when model it.

in my experiance of adt/acad over the years that screenie looks quite normal.

no, you havent got a messed up mesh, it's just the way acad displays shaded models sometimes. to get it looking good type in RENDER and do a quick render.

Hi

I have had the same problem from time to time in ADT - the rendering looks as thought all the normals are reversed. Looking at the knowledge base:

Display issues with shaded objects

Published date: 2003-03-26

ID: TS73817

Applies to:

Autodesk® Architectural Desktop 2004

Autodesk® Architectural Desktop Release 3.3

Issue

You encounter the following display issues with shaded objects:

* Black triangles are displayed

* Objects are transparent

* Objects appear inside out

* Objects appear reflected multiple times

Solution

These display issues can occur if the insertion point of the objects is far away from the origin.

As a work-around, move the objects closer to the origin.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by psyanide:

Have you got the most up to date drivers for your video card installed?

i dont think that makes much difference. i think it's in the coding of the core program. i've got bang up to date every thing in my new pc and still have the same problem. have had since the shade option came out.

shade is what it says. pretty basic. if you want a smooth proper shade then use render.

[ May 29, 2003, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=15_1.jpg

heres another screenshot. how come this model is ok while the first one has problems? same ADT program done with, same PC. this rules out video card problems right? I moved the model nearer the origin and yet the problem still persists. I can render it to get a cleaner look... but wouldnt it be better to revolve around the model in real time to get a better overview of the design?

Alex,

Previous advice is sound. You might try opening a template file, with all the preset set work views & plot tabs. ADT is kind of funky once in a while with complex models. If the view ports you're working in have not been set up (display managment) wierd things happen. I've had walls that are turned off in all view ports show up in one work view tab and not in the 3D work tab view. It's all display managment.

The walls and similar get a mind of thier own when it comes to displaying properly. The software seems to get bogged down after being open for a long period with a lot of AEC stuff (roofs ect.) being added. Once in while! This is an awsome program. I just close the file and re-open. This usally works.

ADT when creating windows for example creates coincidental faces of the sash and jamb. That might be whats causing some of the missing planes and messy apreance. It'd not a big deal in max unless two seperate materials are appliied to the surfaces. Then one surface will render, the next time the other will. In lightscape it's another nightmare, thats a lesson in low polygon re-modeling and patience.

I frequently set up the max file & links. Do the best I can in ADT, save and reload into max. When studing forms I just apply a grey material to everything and visualize.

Hope this helps!

WDA