Upgrading to 2004

plastic

no need to deinstall. you install the new one over the old installation to migrate user settings.

usually it's cheaper to get software from a dealer instead of direct, there is room for discount.

we are currently using autocad 2002. i looked at the autocad 2004 whats new list, and couldn't find anything that would make it worth upgrading.

I looked on www.cdw.com and the upgrade was about 2,500 from them, whereas the upgrade to 2004 from 200 directly from Autodesk is only 1,500. Where do you suggest I begin looking for a good place to buy the upgrade? Also, is getting the upgrade for Autocad 2004 similar to getting an upgrade say for Windows XP where you don't get the full version, but just software to upgrade the program? I'm thinking 2004 may be worth it for me because of the supposedly more efficient user interface. If I get just a bit more productive from upgrading, it may be worth the price for me.

Hi. I am thinking about upgrading to AutoCad 2004. I currently have a copy of AutoCad 2000. Anyway, I have several questions. My first question is, how does upgrading work? Does Autodesk send me a full copy of Autocad 2004 or do I have to install autocad 2000 first and then install the upgrade to upgrade it to 2004? Also, is autodesk the only place in can purchase the upgrade from? If not, what's a better place to get it at? Finally, do you guys think the upgrade is worth the money?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you should order a demo version first. If you are familiar with the software, then testing a demo of the new version is interesting (if you've never used AutoCAD, then a demo won't help a lot in making it clear to you).

And if you upgrade to 2004, you might think of going to the ADT-version, since it contains the rendering engine from VIZ.