buying liscenses

schmoron13

hi Everyone,

I have 3ds max 5 at work, and recently, someone handed me some ACAD work but since I'm more familiar in AutoCAD, I was wondering what Autodesk/Discreet's policy is on buying used software. If one of my engineer friends has a copy of ACAD 14 (legit),I wanted to know if it's legal to take over the liscense. In the case that it is, do people sell old software? Since ACAD 2004 is coming out, I'd love to buy an older version (2k, 14, etc.)since I mainly need it for the occasional project that doesn' justify the $$$$ pricetag, but when I asked ID8media in Ca back when we ordered 3ds max 5, they still wanted to sell 2k for the same price as 2k2 even though 2k2 was already out....

to make a long story short, I noticed people here selling old copies of lightscape? on here a couple of months ago and wanted to know if that's ok to do for ACAD and if so, does anyone have old copies that they'd like to sell?

thanks in advance

Schmoron13

I tried cirumventing the situation by just incorporating some of the 3d drawings done in AutoCAD 14 (I think it's 14) into max and some of the parts of the building are missing!!! i noticed this often on roofs, and also on certain walls. any clues as to why?

or you can buy Autocad LT.. What I do know is that people that have older versions of autocad, they may not sell it because they bought an upgrade to the next version, wich is much cheaper. They need the older license for that newer version to make it legit. Over here in Europe, people can sell some software, wich exactly i don't know. I believe MAX is one of them..

I have had parts of the building "disappear" when importing a CAD model to max. For me it was the direction of the normal for the object. If you select the object and flip the normal they will "reappear". Hope this helps. :D

thanks, if I get AutoCAD i'll try it...also, when I import files, all the walls are a single object. Am I importing something incorecctly? I want to have the ability to alter just a wall segment as opposed to all three floors for example. It appears that every layer is a single object, and I had to go in an slice the hell out of it.

thanks, if I get AutoCAD i'll try it
actually, this is done in max. select object go to modify tab.

also, when I import files, all the walls are a single object. Am I importing something incorecctly?
when you import there is an option to combine similar objects to single object. if you uncheck this box the objects will come in independently. :D

Are any of those AutoCAD drawings in 3D? IF not, I would recommend you look at some of the (WAY) lower-cost alternatives.

Either Cadence or Cadylist did an article on that like 2 or 3 months ago. You can get like 99% DWG compatibility for like 10% of the price - and some even do 3D and/or have the exact same commands if your an experienced ACAD user.

I think the price of AutoCAD is a total joke - and the way they 'force' people to upgrade is pathetic. So if you can get all of the function for a MUCH lower price, go for it. Or atleast try a demo to see if you like the SW.

Just an idea to think about.

• 2 weeks later...