rendering is getting close but....

kevin miller

Hello,

I have attached 3 renderings which I have been working on. I have been struggling witht he lighting and final rendering settings. Things have gotten better with help from some people on another forum but there are some little things that are really bugging me. My ceiling diffusers look like lights in one rendering especially. They are way too white with too much highlight. I am also getting blotchy glare marks on the walls. I am wondering if light is bouncing of the glossy floor which has a pretty good orange peel bump map. I have the FG bounce set to 3. Overall, I would like a little more even light but things seem almost there for my first real lighting/ rendering attempt.

I am using 3ds max design 2009, mental ray, the good setting in final gather with GI on, I have the MR daylight system on with MR photo exposure preset and interior daylight. I have adjusted the highlights under exposure to minimize the bright highlights. The only other lights in the scene are the downlights and flourescant lights which are self illuminated AD materials.

Any help would be great and thanks.

hi kevin,

you should probably be posting these in WIP area - u'd get a lot more feedback on the images there.

on the images themselves though - they look great for a first attempt

to bring up the image brightness even more - either play around with exposure settings or get some more area lights in - whether its mr sky portals or otherwise

I was trying to be respectful on the bandwidth/ storage. Good job on the post processing but it is a little high key. I think you would have better results if my rendering was a little cleaner. Do you mind me asking what you did? I am assuming levels or curves, or layer blending of some sort?

Thanks!

I was trying to be respectful on the bandwidth/ storage. Good job on the post processing but it is a little high key. I think you would have better results if my rendering was a little cleaner. Do you mind me asking what you did? I am assuming levels or curves, or layer blending of some sort?

Thanks!

A couple of duplicated layers set to screen transfer mode.