3dmax viewports and windows 7 issue

Guest nazcaLine

Guest nazcaLine

I don't know much about hardware so i turn to you guys for some help and advice.

I recently installed Windows 7 in my computer (formerly using Windows XP, it was a clean install) and everything is fine except 3dmax 2009 32 bit. The viewports are terribly slow, especially with heavy geometry like 3d plants. I didn't have this problem before (well the viewports were a bit slow, but nothing compared to this). I have a Dual core Intel 2.13 GHz, 3 gigs of ram and a nvidia geforce 7300 LE graphics card 256MB. I downloaded the nvidia drivers for the windows 7 32 bit and installed it but nothing improved. I downloaded the runtime for direct 3d from microsoft site and nothing. When I change the 3dmax viewport configuration from direct3d 9.0 to open gl the thing improves a little but not dramatically.

I even changed the windows appearance configuration to full performance (taking away all the eye-candy effects and transparencies) but NOTHING. I don't know what else to do.

One option is to buy a new graphics card, but i'm not sure a recent model will fit my Intel motherboard (i don't remember the model, i think it is LT 950 or something like that, i bought it 2 years ago, and NO, i'm not planning to buy a new PC anytime soon). If I have to buy a new graphics card which one would you recommend? Something not so expensive please :)

I was sure windows 7 would run smoothly with my current hardware, but damn Max is the troublemaker here.

Any help and suggestions are really welcome, thanks.

Eduardo

Guest nazcaLine

Yes you're right, i didn't have an urgent need to change. Can it be that i was just plain bored of XP and wanted to try something new?

Ok i'll try with max 9. the problem is a lot of my files are in 2009 already...:(

No, I meant 2009 64bit.

To be honest, your machine is quite outdated. I think you should have stayed on xp. I was on XPpro 64 for ages, it was really stable with no major memory issues. Your graphics card is quite old (like 4 generations of NVidia families). If you update the OS without updating the machine, you are only going to run into problems. Programmers are lazy by nature, the IT industry needs to feed the monster after all. New software is not optimized to run on older systems, its quite the opposite. It may be a Direct X version issue?

You need Greg Hess on this one, but I think he'd just say the same as me. Get new hardware, or stick with XP.

Guest nazcaLine

Thanks tommy for your advice.

Yes it's true, i bought my pc more than 2 years ago, and yes the nvidia card is sure outdated. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy a new and recent nvidia card, regardless of windows 7 or XP? Could my motherboard support it?

Was it XP64? If so, the easy way out is to just re-install the operating system.

Your hardware determines how you work, simple as that. I dont know your circumstances, so I cant tell you the best option for you. Im a freelancer, I depend on getting quality work done, keep up with current techniques, do marketing, give clients a massage and everything else that goes ....on my own. I need super hardware or my work grinds out too slow (and I dont like paying online render farms).

One thing I would definitely recommend going 64 bit and getting more ram whatever you do. I think its easier to adapt your workflow to a bad graphics solution than to deal with memory issues.

You need to do some reading on what your motherboard is capable of. 2 years is not old, by any means. You may be able to put a Nvidia 9800 and some more ram in there and you are good for another 2 years.

Guest nazcaLine

ok. just one more question: in the specs for these new nvidia graphics cards, the bus requires pci express 2.0. my motherboard slot syas pci express. does this mean i can't add the new models? i read in wikipedia and it says pci express 2.0 allow double data transfer. if this is true, then i'm done and i need a new machine, right? or is it the same?

yes as i said i don't know much about hardware :(

Guest nazcaLine

ok thanks for your suggestion. i just found out that i can use my pci slot, it's just the data transfer won't be as fast as it was designed.

but...if the data transfer won't be as fast as it was designed to, say, if i buy a 1 gb video card, then it won't take full advantage of its power, right? if so, then probably i won't benefit much...what i need is to manage millions of poligons on screen(like the evermotion vegetation library), i don't mind much about texture display.

Edited by nazcaLine
mistake