Adobe Design Premium to Production Premium

Jeff Mottle

The people at Adobe don't really seem to have a clue unless you spend 30 min on the phone and ask to be transferred to a manager, so I thought I would post here before calling again tomorrow.

I have Design Premium CS3, which I've upgraded to Design Premium CS4. I now would like to get Premiere so I will upgrade to Production Premium CS4.

I assume when I upgrade I still retain access to the apps in Design Premium that are not part of the Production premium suite? It's not very clear and earlier today I was told two different stories about the upgrade price, so I'm not too hopeful of getting a clear answer from them without some work.

Anyone every done this?

Jeff

You may know the answer to this now but unfortunately you will lose access to those programs in design premium that are not in production premium.

Had my response yesterday but was out of the office all day

I had to speak to several different people at Adobe, but yeah I confirmed the same. I have an old CS version of PS that I will be able to use to upgrade to a suite of Production Premium, so at least I will not have to buy a full retail version. Still a $1099 upgrade!

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Wouldn't it be better to upgrade to Master Collection? It would be a bit more expensive but you wouldn't need separate Premiere upgrades later and you'd get 3 metric tons of software.

That's what I thought, but that upgrade is $1599 and only gets me Adobe Contribute, which I do not need. It would be cleaner to have one suite, but for $500, I'll deal with Design and Production Premium which gets me everything (less contribute) for $1099.

Hi Jeff,

I'm jumping in late to this discussion, but I thought I would recommend looking into Adobe's volume licensing:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/tlp/

The term "volume" is misleading, as you can purchase single licenses through this method. The main reason I would recommend it is that it gives you a single serial number for all apps and you don't have to go through the authorization hassle every time you install something. If you haven't already purchased, you may want to check this out. It won't save you any money, but it will certainly save you hassle down the road (in my experience).

Hi Jeff,

I'm jumping in late to this discussion, but I thought I would recommend looking into Adobe's volume licensing:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/tlp/

The term "volume" is misleading, as you can purchase single licenses through this method. The main reason I would recommend it is that it gives you a single serial number for all apps and you don't have to go through the authorization hassle every time you install something. If you haven't already purchased, you may want to check this out. It won't save you any money, but it will certainly save you hassle down the road (in my experience).

Interesting, I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the tip!