ADT exporting to 3dstudio problems?

shalesie

Depends which "3d studio" version you use. If you have the DWG linking tool in your 3d studio, than use that, and all should show up. If it still doesn't show, make sure you have the latest Autodesk free translation tool installed - "Autodesk object anabler" (I think its version 3.31 nowadays)

If you have an older 3d studio, don't try to open the DWG from 3d studio. In ADT export to 3ds, but make sure you are in a 3d view and select all surfaces.

Good luck.

Perfectly? Since when? orangeno I've been wrestling with this problem ever since we got ADT. DWG files from it don't import into MAX at all period, the most I get is lines... we did eventually figure out how to export the things to .3DS, but even then pretty often whole sections of the houses go missing no matter what we do. Is there any particular trick to this? Settings to avoid? Something? ANYTHING??

Still wondering why people don't model in max/viz too... avoiding export problems won't get you any!

modeling in CAD is much more precise than modeling in MAX/VIZ. I think this is imperative specially if you want to use radiosity? The only people who model in MAX are reg CG artist. Another reasong why people model in CAD or at least I do, is because one my model is done in cad I have Cd's instantly.

Originally posted by nisus:

Still wondering why people don't model in max/viz too... avoiding export problems won't get you any!

rgds

nisus

Ever tried making a complete house with doors and windows all in place? The AEC-tools in VIZ aren't usable for this amount of complication. From an architectural viewpoint, modeling in CAD is the best way to go.

In that regard ADT 2004 (Autodesk Architectural Desktop) with included VIZ render (= render-only/no modelling) is the right way to go for most architects wanting to do a rendering as well.

But I like to stay using ArchiCAD (if the final v8 update arrives at my door, that is).

I like the modelling in VIZ, but prefer CAD-tools for CAD-models. I can even use them for 2D construction drawings as well, which is not possible in VIZ/MAX.

idd I was ;)

Ever tried making a complete house with doors and windows all in place?
--> smart visualisers only model what's needed

Architects who do both (cad & viz), can benefit from using cad, although modelling in cad blinds them from modelling about 5 times more than what is needed. Additionally to this, to less detail is added in places that require it! I suggest to use each tool for it's own best fit ;)

rgds

nisus

• 1 month later...