Creating an arch (tower soffit)

King David

Hi,

Drawing and pointing in perspective view is not allowed in AutoCAD but u can still use isometric views or...

1) set the acad in named viewport mode (see attached image) http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=Window_1.jpg

2) draw an arc in isometric view

3) an arc will be seen in perspective window

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

yup, you cant draw in perspective view :(

but draw your arcs in iso or plan view, then either give them a thickness or a ruled surfed thickness and to view them in perspective use the DVIEW command. nice and simple.

DVIEW has loads of options so better use F1 to swat up on them. tip - dview all using points.

Thank you Wojciech and Strat for your responses. I was able to draw an arch in isometric view. I still have a problem. I am trying to draw an arch over a hallway opening that has walls with different (offset)lengths. I end up with an arch or arc that is irregular in shape and will not connect at both ends. Please see graphic at http://www.cgarchitect.com/forum/filepush.asp?file=arch.jpg. I am able to somewhat work around this obstacle by creating a spline in place of the arc. However, I am still getting less than desired results. My spline will not stand up straight. Instead it leans in the vertical direction. Any ideas?

yup, you need to align the UCS properly so that the arc can be drawn in that odd angle.

there are a zillion ways to do it. personally i'd align the ucs in plan first, then i'd rotate the ucs 90 degrees up it's X axis.

read up in F1 on rotating and aligning the UCS as it's a complicated thing to describe.

You MUST FULLY understand the UCS before you can draw successfully in 3D.