Hidden Lines Views

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

I don't usually have to use AutoCAD for anyhting other than modelling but have a situation now where I would like to show the inner components of a shelving unit as a dahsed/hidden line. To do it now I have just drawn over the model in Paperspace with a hidden line, but I can't help but think that there would be a feature that allows you to selected a block or object and when the view is hidden all hidden lines are shown as being dashed rather than simply being hidden.

Does such a feature exist? I know that it does in PRO/E, but this is ACAD. ;)

• Administrators

Forgot to mention that we don't model with solids. :)

I thnik that solview does do that. I'll have to look, but won't work with faces. Even pro/e requires solids to do the hidden line views, so I'm assuming that it can't be done.

Thanks btw.

I don't usually have to use AutoCAD for anyhting other than modelling but have a situation now where I would like to show the inner components of a shelving unit as a dahsed/hidden line. Does such a feature exist
It does in Datacad.

It sounds like you are already done, but in future you could ask me to HLR the file to show the 'hidden' lines in another color and/or linetype. No problem, easy, one button (maybe two).

Perhaps what you want to do is to run several HLRs working from inner features out to surface features. Save them seperately and combine as layers so you can control the look.

If you are still working on this and want further help please provide more details and I will do likewise.

Hi Jeff,

It's easy. Just use OBSCUREDLTYPE system variable. It allows you to specify the color and linetype of hidden lines. Here is a quote from AutoCAD manual:

"Specifies the linetype of obscured lines. Obscured linetypes are independent of zoom level, unlike regular AutoCAD linetypes. Value 0 will turn off display of obscured lines and is the default. The linetype values are defined as follows:

0 Off

1 Solid

2 Dashed

3 Dotted

4 Short Dash

5 Medium Dash

6 Long Dash

7 Double Short Dash

8 Double Medium Dash

9 Double Long Dash

10 Medium Long Dash

11 Sparse Dot"

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

• Administrators

Thanks guys!

Ernest: Yes I am done, but we (well our ISO guy) could use this all the time, but I doubt you'd want to have to do this 4 and 5 times a day. ;)

What is it exactly yhat you do though for curiosoty sake?

Wojciech: Hmm this looks promissing but it not only does not work, it doesn't even show up in the help file. We are using 2000i. Is this an ACAD 2002 feature?

It's easy. Just use OBSCUREDLTYPE system variable.
Yeah, everything is easy in Autocad. Just use the global system variable WHYTHEHELLDOIWANTTOTYPEINEVERYDAMNEDCOMMAND the switches are:

0 I'm a masocist, I love ACAD

1 No thanks, I'll try something else

OK, that wasn't very nice, but enjoyable, sorry ACAD fans!

In Datacad there is a small set of buttons on HLR to draw hidden lines, and in what linetype and color--or not. Here is a screenshot with both options overlayed. The HLR results are saved as flattened layers, so they load in as simple drawings, easy to edit. The model is something I'm elevation mapping today. The dashed linetype is hard to read here, but its always changeable later anyway.

HLR01.jpg

But if you get the variable set up in ACAD, there shouldn't be anything more to worry about.

The new Rhino has several really great display modes that might be worth checking out. I haven't bought the v3 upgrade yet, but I tried 'em out in the beta and it was great. Look into that, they made Rhino even more CAD-like.