First v-ray render

chris723

Hi guys,

Was wondering if I could get your opinions on how I could improve this render and make it look more realistic? It’s my first real attempt at an exterior render using v-ray for 3ds max, so I’m still learning a fare bit.

The model was built in Archicad and exported in as a 3ds into max. I’ve used v-ray HDRI and a target direct light for the lighting, using v-ray shadows, and used v-ray materials.

When experimenting I found that adding displacement to the materials started to give the model a more realistic appearance but this also started to lift the material away from the model, making the edges dark. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Also the glass needs a lot of work, which I haven’t looked into yet. Is it just a case of dropping a v-ray glass material in and mapping it?

I’ve attached some of my render settings.

Thanks for any help

Hi Chris

Nice to see another ArchiCAD user !

Good first try.....I would keep things simple & ditch the displacement & HDRI for now & concentrate on your camera position & lighting.

There's plenty of good tutorials on the web.

With the materials / textures, try & get some good quality maps (CG textures.com) + vray materials.de.......again keep things simple & don't use displacement.

If you want to go a step further, try the VRay sun/sky/camera setup - again plenty of tutorials available.

Good Luck !

Hi Chris

You should not loose anything when exporting from ArchiCAD to 3DS.

In ArchiCAD I always use the 'Construct 3DS objects according to : Materials' setting when exporting.

If you are still having problems, change the window/door frame material in ArchiCAD to something else & try again.

Also make sure you are up to date with the latest build(version) of ArchiCAD.

Hi Chris

I think the lighting is looking better.....but still not as crisp as it should be.

Keep on experimenting with the Vray Cam/Sun/Sky & you get there

You need to resolve the issue of the missing window/door frames

Not sure about the textures - looks very dirty & low quality.

Is it supposed to be metal cladding panels - if so, model these in 3d so they line in with the openings...see attached image

I think you also need to pull the camera back to see more of the building + add some finishing touches like trees/planting/people (although leave this until your happy with the basic building & textures)