Converting DWG to DGN (AutoCAD to Microstation)

kainoa

Hi Kainoa

I think you are going to have a few issues converting dwg with ADT to DGN using MS V8. The ADT components require an object enabler to render the dwg successfully in a non ADT cad systems (including AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT). I would ask the drawing to be resupplied in a dwg form that is exploded with no ADT objects in the dwg file, but not too far as you will want to retain the 3D aspects of the model. To my knowledge, this process can really only be done in an ADT based CAD system.

Good luck

Regards

Kerry Thompson

Hi Kerry,

Thnx for the tip. Ok, so what if my DWGs are free of any ADT blocks/objects...what's the best procedure to convert them to DGN in MSv8? I tried to convert some, but my text styles, and hatch patterns do not convert correctly.

Thanks again!

Hi Kainoa

As I understand it (I do not use MS in production and only have passing familiarly with MS J) MSV8 will read and write dwg as well as dgn so there is no need to convert it ??

There should be a “save as” function or similar which will prompt you for the dwg format and will probably ask you for a mapping table of some kind. This mapping table will allow you to allow map dwg font, layer, hatch etc to each dgn font, layer, hatch etc. This is a common issue when converting one CAD format to another.

Maybe a Microstation User could be of more help??

Regards

Kerry