e-mail drawing

markf

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to e-mail drawings to someone who doesn't have ACAD and isn't real computer literate.

I am thinking of .jpg or .pdf(acrobat)

I am familiar with plotting to an eps file and importing into illustrator. This, however, doesn't preserve line weight or line type which is not good for my purpose.

What do you do? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to e-mail drawings to someone who doesn't have ACAD and isn't real computer literate.

I am thinking of .jpg or .pdf(acrobat)

PDF

The files will be small because ACAD will output vectors, and all your screen layouts will appear as if you had printed them on paper (so make it look good on paper first). The files are easy for the other party to see and print.

.pdf sounds like what I want to do.

It's probably obvious but I can't seem to figure out how to save or plot to a .pdf file.

You have to use the 'full' Acrobat software, meaning the pay version. There are some free alternatives, for which you can search the web, but the regular Adobe software is a program worth what it costs, so I don't look for free alternatives--but they do exist.

Acrobat installs as a printer, so you print your drawing to that 'printer' and it creates the file.

For the purposes you describe you can probably use the defaults, but there are settings to set and they affect quality, file size, etc.

You can make a PDF file from Illustrator or Freehand (Freehand is great because you can output multiple pages).

I have not used Acrobat, so I don't know it, but from what I hear the only advantage to buying the full version is flexibility and better compression (it's at least several hundred $$). But it would be overkill, imho, if you are only email a few files, now and then. Acrobat is great for a company that passes a lot of info.

That's just what I hear, so it could be wrong.

There are also cheap programs that make PDF files, like $30-40, maybe even a shareware. Look at http://www.pcmag.com , they did a review of them a few months back. Those will work.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I'll give cute a try and if that doesn't work I'll by the full version of acrobat.

I don't need to e-mail ACAD drawings like this very often but have a unique situation at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

We used to plot drawings to a .png file then insert it into a word doc.

We now use Acrobat Distiller, which is the printer that gets installed when you load full acrobat. PDFs plot so much nicer. but look ordinary on the screen (unless im doing something wrong)

G

Hi

I would use the dwf version 6. The AutoDesk Express Viewer is about 2Mb to download and easy to install. Plots can be produced to scale.

The dwfs can be published with one file holding multiple plotted sheets. Layer control can be activated if required.

The file size is small with say, 12 sheets of A1 working drawings, with no rasters, contained in a file of 1Mb?

I also have Acrobat 6 Pro but find the output harder to deal with from a CAD authoring point of view and the file sizes far bigger – that said, the Acrobat reader is pervasive through out the Internet compared to dwf viewers.

Dwf authoring is included as part of your AutoCAD and the AutoDesk Express Viewer is also free.

Kerry