flattening a 3d drawing

STRAT

Hi fellas

the technitians in my office all use acad 2000lt (the non-3d version) and occationally they get clients send us their cad drawings to use.

some cad drawings have been drawn over 3d survey information, making the resulting plan look good in plan form, but completely useless to use (ie, all the z values are non-coplanar)

from my olden days in Rel 9,10,11 and 12 there were LISP routines than could 'flatten' a 3d drawing all onto one level z plain. but i havent dont this in years.

can anyone suggest how i'd do it now? they are pretty complicated drawings. and i personally use ADT if that helps. (will ADT do it?)

cheers ppl :)

Originally posted by Chaz:

Strat,

If I understand your question right, you can go to

View - 3D View - Top.

Or Select each line and in properties change the elevation or Z to zero.

Chaz

sorry Chaz, ur miles off :)

i obviously know those basics you're talking about ;) , it's more indepth than that.

the lines occupy different z values at each end, so just changing the elevation doesnt work.

it needs a lisp routine to flatten them some how. (the normal FLATTEN command isnt working for some reason) i cant do every line individually either as there are literally millions of lines.

Something like ingo suggested would be nice, only that option dont exist in acad.

[ November 13, 2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

Are you using a "flatten" lisp that you downloaded somewhere? I have been using one that I downloaded with great success. If you like, I can send it to you.

Otherwise, and I'm sure that there are many easier ways to do this, but if you add a "DXB" plotter, plot a plan view out to a DXB file, then open a new drawing file, type "DXBIN" at the command line, you can load the DXB file that you created. You will have to re-scale the drawing, but this should flatten everything for you. The main problem with it is that it will explode all your Plines.

-Chad

we were trying CHelev anyway with not much success. i'll look at the other one you gave me now and report back :)

even tho i've registered there it still wont allow me to d/l that free 3d to 2d lines code.

would you mind e-mailing it to me please?

[ November 13, 2003, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

This is what I do when I want 2D from my 3D:

setup the 3D projection.

HIDE the lines

SELECT all

COPY to clipboard

PASTE SPECIAL (metafile) in CORELDRAW (or any VECTOR software

walah!! 2D :)

Well, It does also convert the arcs into lots and lots of lines, but you can adjust that in CorelDRAW! and turn the back to arcs and splines

Note*

Just adjust the Diplay Parameters under OPTIONS ---> DISPLAY Tab in order to achieve desired smoothness.

I would have preffered the FLATTEN command, but i cant seem to past it correctly in PLAN VIEW when pasting back in ACAD

I hope this helps strat.

[ November 13, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: jucaro ]

• 2 weeks later...

we run into the same problem here from time to time. the solution (or workaround) that i came up with is to select everything, then type "change". type "p" for properties, the "e" for elev. enter "0" as the new elevation and that should do it...

i am not 100% positive that it works for lines with different Z endpoint coordinates, but IIRC, it does 'flatten' the drawing.