I'm Frintz, new CG member and new 3ds max user.

Frintz

Hello fellow members

I'm Frintz, retired aerospace Sr. Tech Illustrator. New user of 3ds Max.

Have release 7, starting first tutorial: Animated Still Life. Whenever I click in a viewport, all viewports go blank. I've recovered the grid and image by right clicking in any viewport and left clicking on Unfreeze All in the menu that pops up.

Can anyone tell me what to do to stop the viewports from going blank?

Many thanks, Frintz

There is a chance that simply updating your video drivers will fix the problem.

I wouldn't expect much help on this question. The version of Max your using is 5 versions out of date. The majority of people are working with Max2009 or Max2010. The oldest version people around here are using is probably version 9.

But regardless, try different graphic card drivers, and see if that fixes the problem. You could also try a different display mode... DirectX/OpenGL/Software. Though most people prefer DirectX with Max.

Hi Fred, I'm a newbie my self on this forum. So, I thought I might pop up and say hello to all other members. Anyway, I had similar problems a while ago when I used a graphic card that is unreliable, to say the least. Reinstalling worked for a while but eventually I had to change it. New drivers didn't do much either. You might want to reinstall it, try to reset settings you probably changed without notice, etc. But I do agree with the first reply you got, that is a bit old release. Just a thought you might consider.

Cheers!

TKM

Edited by cgzilla
typo

Hi Travis

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post and offer some suggestions. I will check the display options menu as that was the only area where a selection was made during install.

I realize that my version of 3ds is old but some of you CG members have been around for while as well. You're proof that I gambled correctly.

When I purchased release 7, it was the latest. But changes in employment prevented me from learning the program until now. I'm certain that I this version will fill my needs and keep my wife quiet by not spending a few grand to replace a program that I've yet to use.

Thanks again for your input. Keep an eye out for me as I'll probably need help from an artist with "wisdom". LOL

Sincerely, Fred "FRINTZ", Williams

Hi Tihomir

Thanks much for your reply and welcome to CG also. Your comment regarding changed settings that I did not notice was the first thing I thought of. However, there was one setting that I made and that was the display choice. Direct/Open/Software. I will start there and see what results.

Thanks again, and here's to good health and success to you and your family!

Sincerely, Fred "FRINTZ", Williams