Autocad LT...Anyone use it?

LivinOnTheEdge

Hi

LT is definitely designed for 2D but can view and edit full AutoCAD drawings. - More designed to extend AutoCAD based project teams without having to purchase full AutoCAD. LT has no lisp and very limited 3D construction but you can produce crude 3D perspective wirelines from it.

One possible way of using it is to dwglink the LT drawings to Viz.

Kerry

Why don't you try it out for a few days and see if you like it? (I am assuming theres a demo version of LT).

Also there are quite a few other low-cost (but high-feature) CAD programs out there that are like 99.9% AutoCAD conpatible. You could give them a shot too - many of them are priced about what LT costs, yet give you the power of full-blown AutoCAD (including 3D).

Also there are atleast a few add-ons to LT that extend its power qutie a bit - there is even a 3D solid modeller for it that with the price of LT + the price of this add-on still makes it like 1/2 the price of AutoCAD.

Originally posted by Hazdaz:

Why don't you try it out for a few days and see if you like it? (I am assuming theres a demo version of LT).

Also there are quite a few other low-cost (but high-feature) CAD programs out there that are like 99.9% AutoCAD conpatible. You could give them a shot too - many of them are priced about what LT costs, yet give you the power of full-blown AutoCAD (including 3D).

Also there are atleast a few add-ons to LT that extend its power qutie a bit - there is even a 3D solid modeller for it that with the price of LT + the price of this add-on still makes it like 1/2 the price of AutoCAD.

I already ordered a demo version, so we'll see how it works. The only thing that really concerns me is loading some lisp routines. I use a ton of keyboard shortcuts, so being able to load some lisp is essential.

We'll see.

I tried out the LT demo version, and it sucks! I use almost all LISP keyboard shortcuts among many other LISP routines, and it's all a no go with Autocad LT. It's to bad, they would have a much bigger audience if the had LISP on LT.

So, we had to buy a full retail version for 3 grand! What a bummer. I hate autodesk. A necessary evil!

I have had a play with the demo of an earlier version and I notice that one of my clients is using it to make up 1 or 2 additional workstations to their CAD system rather then buying the full version of AutoCAD. Seems to work OK for them for some of their casual users. I have not used it in production. Maybe try the demo and see what you think.

Kerry