Arch Tick

Sawyer

At the office we are using 2000 and we never use the default Arch Ticks for dims instead we use one we have created. I can get it to work fine when defining a block and using the block as a new arrow. What I really want to do is redefine Autocad's default artick so I don't keep having to redefine the block in a drawing. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for any assistance

Actually I think I see what you were leading to. The idea is to open the template file every time you start a new file. Is that right? & take the dimstyle from that template file? That is basically what I am doing now & it is what I would like to stop. I want to remove that 1 step from doing a drawing. We never use the default arrows or ticks so I wanted to permanatly replace them with ours.

Thanks Chaz -

That solution puts me in the same situation where it changes the block everytime I redefine the user block to be the new architectural tick mark. Not what I need. I want to be able to change the sysyem default once & for all and never have to re-do the tick.

We ever use our template.(the standard for the firm)...other option could be ...create the style and save it under content>styles>Dim Styles (design Center) ...and drag it when you want to use it.

Sawyer, the best way is the template because is the only tool that you have for customazing your own standard...and in options one can setup this new template for default.

[ November 13, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Fernando Lino ]

Originally posted by Fernando Lino:

Sawyer, the best way is the template because is the only tool that you have for customazing your own standard...and in options one can setup this new template for default.

OOOH Fernando sounds really what I wanted. How do I set the template for default?

To start AutoCAD with a command line switch

Right-click the AutoCAD icon on the Windows Desktop. Then choose Properties.

In the AutoCAD Properties dialog box, choose the Shortcut tab.

In the Target box, edit the parameters for the switch using the following syntax:

"drive:pathname\acad.exe" ["drawing name"] [/switch "name"]

Valid switches:

/b Script name (b stands for batch process)

/t Template file name

/c Configuration folder

/v View name

/s Support folders

/r Default system pointing device

/nologo No AutoCAD logo screen

/p User-defined registry profile

For example, enter "d:\AutoCAD 2002\acad.exe" /t "d:\AutoCAD 2002\template\arch1" /v "plan1" /b "startup"

Choose OK.

What we have done at my firm, is to make a master dwg

file. We created a drawing that has all of our dim. styles, fonts, layers and more and even coords, plotters w/ paper filters and more. Than we have save that dwg as our master. When we start a new job we open that master and "save as" the new job. The master is save and the new dwg have all our standards.

Chaz

Thanks Chaz. What you describe is what we do but the problem is that their are so many instances that this will not work for us. We have other drafters who use Microstation and we have to do alot of conversions. Also we end up changing the standard just slightly over time and we need to access files for about 3 years. I don't have say in this I just try to make the situation work better.

In fact I rarely create new files I usually modify Microstation converted dwgs. I think what the answer really is is to purge everything and drop all layers down to 0.

Actually the why's as in why I need to do this are really very complicated. It had recently occured to me that it would be a huge benifit in my situation to not have to use the Master File plan that I had always used and just overide the cad defaults. Still seems the way to go instead of importing layers and dims and text and all that.

Fernando - still sounds good but not sure how that helps me. I do use the command switch to open cad in a project folder but thats all I have ever known so thanks for the tip.