3D is not ART and we are not ARTISTS.

BVI

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." -- Louis Nizer

from the asai site

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different forms of canvases and tools artists use. They can paint on paper, on a wall, on a rock, on a tea cup, and they can use watercolor, oil paints, lead, a chisel. Our canvas is the computer screen, and our tool is the mouse. It's just another medium. You can have a masters in CG and create mediocre images, and you can be a rookie in the field and create beautiful images, why? because the latter has a sense of "ART" and whatever it means.

That is my 2c

Edited by sancheuz

Louis Nizer an authority on art and artists?

1. He was a lawyer.

2. He represented famous people in famous cases.

3. He is also responsible for "When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself." :)))

4. He talked his way through life. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/11/obituaries/louis-nizer-lawyer-to-the-famous-dies-at-92.html?pagewanted=2

He said that what we do in terms of 3D illustration is by no means ART, and we are merely creating pretty images that showcase his design.

I dont get it what is his point? If what he is actually trying to tell you is that what you do isn't valuable, then I would venomously defend against that. Other than that your architect friend is just making a pointless statement for the sake of argument.

• 2 months later...

As an architectural assistant working for a large, well known firm I am beginning to realise that much of architecture has little to do with art. I am even now considering a move to visualisation in order to satisfy my creative drive. The production of imagery has everything to do with art if approached creatively yet architects spend most of their time on other duties.

1st art: architecture

2nd art: sculpture

3rd art: painting

4th art: dance

5th art: music

6th art: poetry

7th art: cinema

*Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci did all his art 550 years ago and people still learning from him, Lets wait 500 yeas and see if people remember 3D.

* Vray + Solidrocks lot of Art there. And anyone with a camcorder is an artist, ( sarcasm )

What i mean is that you need a backgound to call yourself an artist (in any profesion), Recreating is not enought, you need to create, push your self .

Im goingto Quote Wikipedia. ( yes i know wikipedia.... )

The visual arts are art forms that create works which are primarily visual in nature, such as ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, architecture, printmaking, modern visual arts (photography, video, and filmmaking), design and crafts. These definitions should not be taken too strictly as many artistic disciplines (performing arts, conceptual art, textile arts) involve aspects of the visual arts as well as arts of other types. Also included within the visual arts[1] are the applied arts[2] such as industrial design, graphic design, fashion design, interior design and decorative art.[3]

As indicated above, the current usage of the term "visual arts" includes fine art as well as the applied, decorative arts and crafts, but this was not always the case. Before the Arts and Crafts Movement in Britain and elsewhere at the turn of the 20th century, the term artist was often restricted to a person working in the fine arts (such as painting, sculpture, or printmaking) and not the handicraft, craft, or applied art media. The distinction was emphasized by artists of the Arts and Crafts Movement who valued vernacular art forms as much as high forms.[4] Art schools made a distinction between the fine arts and the crafts maintaining that a craftsperson could not be considered a practitioner of art."

The increasing tendency to privilege painting, and to a lesser degree sculpture, above other arts has been a feature of Western art as well as East Asian art. In both regions painting has been seen as relying to the highest degree on the imagination of the artist, and the furthest removed from manual labour - in Chinese painting the most highly-valued styles were those of "scholar-painting", at least in theory practiced by gentleman amateurs. The Western hierarchy of genres reflected similar attitudes."

IMO there are a few points to consider:

1. Do you consider a comic artist and artist? Of course you do... Even if he/she is recreating Mickey Mouse who has been drawn millions of times.

2. More often than not, 3d artists need to take some creative liberties with the designs given to make them look right, that is art.

3. Most 3d artists do have a sense for design and are able to piece together missing voids in the design on their own.

4. In summary, I agree it is more technical than the traditional artists out there, but we are artists.

• 2 months later...

I simply cannot resist this one albeit it is late to the discussion. If you are creative in your input, you have produced something

'artistic' or of 'intellectual property' whether anyone else recognizes that or not. You have been a visionary and solved problems in a new light/way. If you are reshuffling everyone's else info you are a technician-who may be VERY stellar at their job, but you are using someone else's information (as in software) to put together a piece. Bottom line: if there are no new thoughts/solutions, not creative but possibly excellent technician. Come on you guys-you have to think really critically to be 'creative'. What happened to everyone thinking-did the computer replace that as well? Why is it so very shocking anyone can sketch anymore? Turn off the computer and pick up your pencil and think your own thoughts! Guaranteed creative. Not saying it will sell, but it will be yours!

Perhaps it has been said.... this thread has gotten long, but I have to say 98% of the architecture the architectural visualization industry is expected to illustrate is utter rubbish, so devoid of any real signifigance, creativity, and originality that it can hardly be considered "art". So I would propose that in fact the real "art" is making these building look beautiful and appealing. There is way more creativity in discovering the correct lensing, colors, and mood that will make an ugly building look amazing than there is in most of these designs.

Just my 2 cents.