Modeling a room

Wojciech Klepacki

Hi Cesar,

I can help You sending some of my models. All done in AutoCAD solids. If You wish of couse. Let me know. Best regards.

P.S.

I do not model using faces, sorry, I have no time. Solids are much more faster and gives more accuracy. They are good for Viz/Max but for Lightscape You have to explode them and remove unnecessary faces.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the best thing would be to buy one of the Mastering Autocad books. It explains all the tools and all the options.

I do all my modeling in AutoCAD by creating polylines and then extruding them in the 'z' axis. I then move them into position (creat window opening in plan view, extrude upward, and then move into position.)

After my extrusions are in position I will start subtracting and unioning those object until I get what I need. The process goes fast once you have drawn the floorplan and made the polylines.

Autocad is terrible for rendering complex objects. For that I do the basics and import into 3DViz for the complex. ONE TIP…. If you plan to bring the model into 3DViz then put each ‘item’ (windows, doors, glass, wood, etc.) onto a separate layer as you will want all the glass grouped together when you apply textures in Viz.

Originally posted by Wojciech Klepacki:

I do not model using faces, sorry, I have no time. Solids are much more faster and gives more accuracy. They are good for Viz/Max but for Lightscape You have to explode them and remove unnecessary faces.

perhaps try faces no? i really would recomend finding time to learn them.

ur right, solids are 10 times faster to use, but they kinda get messy and fiddly and sometimes a complete pain in the butt to use if using complicated imports into other apps, and the whole point of faces is accuracy. solid's accuracy doesn't even come close to faces accuracy i'm sorry ;)

ok, praps i should re-phrase slightly.

what i'm trying to get at is the infinate accuracy and neatness (right word?) face modelling will give you over solid modelling with regaurd to complicated modelling and modelling editing.

solids are accurate as to what you want to make them, but again, solids can be manipulated and have their polygonal values changed - this has implications on all other coincidental elements that join to them in the scene.

all very well if ur doing quick and simple changable models containing stand alone elements, but what if ur doing a model which has elements that effect all other elements in the scene?

face modelling is wat you see is wat you get. if done properly theres no danger of over lapping faces and gaps in meshes, all verts meet exactly where they should meet. solids can sometines give unwanted results and frustratingly 'untidy bits' in meshes especially when constantly editing between acad and viz.

solids are 10 times quicker than faces, and as I just mentioned, can be accurate and used correctly in modelling, but for the shear long term or editability and cleaness of a mesh (specially bigger more complicated meshes) facing should be used.

both solids and facing has their uses, but solids generally really are for simpler, faster less in-depth modelling where stand alone solids never directly effect other parts of the mesh. there are always exceptions tho.

Hi,

Actually u r rigt STRAT... but in my opinion solids modelling is much more flexible when I use viz. It's a question of skills and technique. I used to model with faces but it was - 8 years ago ;) Sometimes better results can be achieved when I use solids and viz modelling in conjunction. Each of us has his own way to gain the success. But very complicated models when surfaces crosses, fillets, etc, are much easier to model when I use solids. After all I think that there are some models u cann't do in acad with solids or faces. There comes viz... (or Rhinoceros).In some cases viz models are fasters and gives me automatic mapping abilities. Generally speaking: the more I know - the more I can do...

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

P.S.

STRAT, how are your wedding plans? I'm married for the second time ;) As poets says: "there is nothing worst in man's life then permanent presence of someone with different sex..."

Wojciech Klepacki - as you say, it's also a matter of skill and technique. and at the end of the day you must model in the most comfortable way you feel if you want the best results.

the wedding plans are a slow progress at the mo. i want to actually tie the not a.s.a.p., but she wants to wait until maybe christmas time to get things sorted. thanks for asking :)

I want to marry my grilfirned, but I need to wait until after college... 2.5 more years :(
You have informed her of this plan? She would probably be more willing to wait if she knows of your intentions. And if she is not interested in waiting, or marrying you at all, that lets you know NOW that you need to make some decisions.

I'm going to assume your post means you have proposed to her already.