Indirect illumination/light bouncing

Chris MacDonald

Hi folks, got a bit of a problem here. relatively simple scene with light coming through a (physically modelled, double glazed) window into a room - but for some reason the light doesn't appear to be scattering much at all when it hits the floor.

I've got the render on fairly decent settings too - Final gather (500 rays/1.0 density) and GI enabled with 60,000 photons.

Any ideas why i'm not getting any light bouncing around that room?

Yeah it's already on 3 bounces, i'm not using light portals because I want to also take outside shots (perhaps video flythrough) and GI is already on - which is why this is confusing me =/

Try using portals, but set the transparency level so you can see the outside more clearer.

turn on the the diagnostic mode for photons and see how many are actually coming into your room...not many I'd bet.
Especially true if the original poster hasn't properly focused the photons emitting from the mrSun via the photon target settings on the mrSun.

i'm not using light portals because I want to also take outside shots (perhaps video flythrough) and GI is already on
Why would that prevent you from using portal lights at the windows?

Sky Portals do not use all the Photons. They just shot more into the space. I to am fairly new to mental ray also, although I feel I have a pretty good handle on it now. Read every thing you can in this forum there is lots of good info. It all seems very confusing at first.

If you turn off FG and leave GI on you can see where the photons are hitting.

This will help you decide on your settings

Pattons tutorials are great.

Edited by RevitGary

my understanding was that they focus ALL of the photons through the window? Therefore leaving none to go elsewhere.
That's incorrect. As Gary explained each light generates it's own unique amount of photons. Of course there's always an exception to the rule and in this case it's the skylight/mrSky which doesn't generate photons at all.