Ideas for Challenge #3

nisus

Hi all,

Chatting on the #cgarchitect-channel with vizwhiz about the tips&techniques-section of the forum gave birth to a marvellous idea for a new challenge (imho): a challenge that covers the tips&techniques session to see what results can be achieved with the shared thoughts/ideas?

We were thinking about the topics of creating grass, foliage or trees, adding cars, people or great skies...

The purpose would be to share the usage, cons & pros of the already shared techniques and to test these for use in production.

What's your opinion on *this?

(*the idea & the goal)

rgds

nisus (& vizwhiz)

[ September 09, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: nisus ]

• Administrators

Hey Nisus,

Sounds like a great idea to me Nisus! Oddly enough this along the lines of what I had in mind for the next challenge. But we will need a model. IS there anybody out there who has a model they are willing to donate for the challenge? We will have to nail down the exact challenge, but we might need to know the nature of the model to piece together the challenge. If you are willing to donate one of your models, can you post a screen shot of it?

Here's a model I did for school. For the tasks of adding entourage I think it would be pretty good.

It's supposed to be a small art gallery. It could be interesting to put people in it, some life up at the road level, some growies here and there, and maybe focus on interior evening lighting too?

It was made in a hurry but all objects are organised and named well, and it's not too heavy ~15000 polygons.

SEE IT HERE

hi There, Nisus and All,

what about starting with a basic model then allow Ppl to add (within reason) some additional Items. if this is about grass, Trees and Foliage (or is it ?) then you can use the kind of elements particular to your style. bitmaps, 3d objects or plug-ins (i use viz4). cool idea whatever happens.

if you tailored the monthly contest to the monthly Tips and Techniques discussions this could generate some totally awesome Feedback

maybe a specific focus per contest of some other categories, like: especially glass, Textures and Lighting, Shadows (various Items), water lakes and fountains, Peoples, cars

just an Idea, i guess to select a list of items that contribute to cg projecs (i am NOT an interiorist) just an Exteriorist (or is that ex-terrorist ?)

ok Interior and/or Exteriors could be a separate contest idea

Thanks

Randy

Hi Vizwhiz,

I like your idea of a contest on one topic of *T&T every month or so, especially as this is can generate various amounts of feedback so that it is educational for everyone of us.

This serves the community well and continuous the set goal of the previous cga-challenges.

Sounds like a way to go.

About the supply of the model. I think it doesn't matter if a model is supplied or not as the challenge is mostly about entourage. An extremely basic shape with a fixed camera would be enough to let the artist further detail/design/scale/color/... in his own way/style so that it strengthens the story of the image while focusing on skills about a chosen topic.

rgds

nisus

*T&T = Tips & Techniques