Water Rednering - Vray in Sketchup

siuhim

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out in here.

I am a bit new to Vray Rednering Program. Have no idea how to make the water in a fish tank look good. Water on the plane ( like swimming pool) looks good & real. But just could not figure out how to make water in a fish tank work. The main problem is the water without voluming.

I would be much appreciated if anyone here can offer me some tips.

for a fish tank, assuming the fish tank is a closed glass tank and with full water

will u make a glass box for the tank and create one more inside box rendered with water material? or u will just create one box with water rendering?

if so, could u let me know what the setting would be to make it look good?

Thanks much!!

Dlf

• 1 year later...
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out in here.

I am a bit new to Vray Rednering Program. Have no idea how to make the water in a fish tank look good. Water on the plane ( like swimming pool) looks good & real. But just could not figure out how to make water in a fish tank work. The main problem is the water without voluming.

I would be much appreciated if anyone here can offer me some tips.

for a fish tank, assuming the fish tank is a closed glass tank and with full water

will u make a glass box for the tank and create one more inside box rendered with water material? or u will just create one box with water rendering?

if so, could u let me know what the setting would be to make it look good?

Thanks much!!

Dlf

my name is ankush.. i am also new in vray rendering .. I have accidently found the way that how to make glass material in sketchup .

first choose the model you want to make it glass, then make a new vray material .click in diffuse layer make it transparency white.., now make a new refractive layer

and apply it to the model.. now render it...i think it will help you!!!

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH:)

basically what you should do is model both the fishtank and the water, BUT, model the fishtank with a thickness to the sides, and model the water to start and end inside the glass. The water material could be almost equal to the glass material, only using a different IOR (index of refraction), for water this should be something like 1,333 and for glass is could be something like 1,52.

The different IOR values will make the water stand out from the glass and V-Ray itself expects you to start the fluid inside the glass so light will travel from air to glass to water.

You can take a look at this tutorial of V-Ray for 3dsMax, the modelling might be a different program, but the V-Ray technology is the same: http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/vray_glass_liquid.htm