MCAD in Architecture

Nick Easton

Maybe I'm missing the corporate culture here (computer GRAPHICS) but is the use of high-end mcad programs like CATIA and SolidWorks considered CG?

Considering my thumbnail below, I would like to see a forum for mcad in AEC--unless of course there is a real differentiation between graphics and design...

Nick Easton, NAA (not an architect):

Recent 3D CAD background is 2 years of mechanical CATIA and 4 years of CATIA 3D architectural design as a CATIA design contractor to Frank Gehry & Associates (Gehry Partners) in Santa Monica CA.

Started in architectural design with a year on the Guggenheim Bilbao, resumed with the Experience Music Project in Seattle and smaller Gehry projects, then worked until last summer on the Disney Concert Hall Los Angeles.

Currently retired and self-training on CATIA V5; looking to participate in 3D architectural design/engineering as a contractor with own CATIA V5 licensed workstation.

=============

As a matter of interest Gehry Partners recently announced in the current ArchitecturalRecord [Digital Practice section] the formation of Gehry Technologies which "aims to improve the way digital tools are designed and used in the AEC industry." (I haven't found a digital version of this yet--this announcement wasn't published in the online ArchitecturalRecord.)

Gehry Technologies is discussed briefly toward the bottom of the article:

http://www.designcommunity.com/discussion/24786.html

=================

I don't know anything about CADDS; I come from a very narrow vertical architectural niche where CATIA V4 has been used for over 10 years for 3D modeling and AutoCAD is used for preparing the conventional 2D details and construction documents (using cuts and projections from CATIA).

I know that some of Gehry's people have used Rhino for preliminary sketching but as of 2 or 3 years ago Rhino complex surfaces didn't import into CATIA satisfactorily...