New Resi/Office tower

Ky Lane

Even if I had the option I would still use a pass over a per material AO solution. A pass means I can decided after the render is finished provided I have my passes (which psd manager handles for me). IMO the only reason I would want AO per material is if I wanted all different sizes of AO on different materials...

A 500mm - 1 or 2m pass seems to be taking as long as a standard render. I must be doing something wrong or something. A 15mm AO pass takes 5 minutes at full res at 32 subd's.

The vray way is great because you can of course do a pass by doing a global material override or using a script OR you can use a render element named vrayextratex and you just put in a vraydirt material into the element and it generates as many different AO passes as you want as the render happens.

Back to you Ky ;)

Different AO sizes, intensities and colour is exactly why I like the per material approach.

The A&D shader has the ability to use "Exact" colour, ie it tints the AO with the colour of the surrounding objects. Its very subtle (sometimes too much so) but it's helps take that "AO" look away whilst still enhancing contact shadows.

jhv