Research? Comparison? Try-Out?

nisus

Hi all,

Nuno asked me to setup a new thread in T&T. http://www.cgarchitect.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000036#000000

We both didn't know where his new idea should find a place and although we both came up with the same forum section, I still think his new idea really fits here.

So what do you think of a new section called:

'Try-out' or 'Comparison' or even 'Research Projects' or whatever to fit this and similair threads in.

Pls, help me in trying to find a good name for the section where one could post a question that many others can react to.

A n example of a similair thought I had, was to give a simple render/image and ask people to enhance atmosphere/surroundings etc.

Many others are possible... It's a bit like a challenge, but without deadlines and hopefully more focussing on sharing techniques because the challenges can't handle this from what I saw during the last challenge.

Speaking of the last challenge, I really missed the sharing tips... I think many attendees were afraid that there ideas would be stolen by others to make something better. Is there a way to do this once the voting is over (and the winner is announced) so one can ask for techniques? What do you guys think about all of this?

rgds

nisus

Well nisus, thats just what i mean. We can put this type of work into the "tips and techniques" section where it belongs to, or in the wip section. I think there is no need for a new forum like "research" or "try and error". It gets harder to follow the forum the more sections we have, although i've heard that the new version of this UBB software has a better "last day" function, means it really displays the last 24 hours.

But i agree with the need for a Microstation section to attract more people, since Microstation is one of the most used CADD softwares around.

ingo

Hi ingo,

I see your point, but imho the 'let there be light' and alikes do not fit in either WIP or in T&T for the following reasons:

- not in WIP: many members work on it, whereas a wip is mostly only one member. These topics focus mainly on group-interaction, much like the challenges were supposed to be, but failed firmly imho. (I think Nuno felt this too and thus undertook this great action to recover the loss... tnx nuno btw!)

- not in T&T: tips will be scattered all around with different tips on a similar topic divided into a numourous amount of threads and so it will be even harder to find references on them. For the same reason Jeff closed this section for members to setup new posts, so the mods can bundle ideas/tips/techniques on similar topics all together. Afterall, isn't it nicer to look for tips on how to make skies in only one thread, than in a handful or more?

- I don't think this fits into 'third party renderers' either, because the newer 'group/themes' will not only cover lighting...

rgds

nisus

27 minutes for the reply, what took you so long ? ;)

Well i agree with you that the wip section is the wrong place, but if i ever want to look for a tip regarding skies i use the search function, works well even for forums with much higher traffic.

BTW, Merry Christmas :)

27minutes... lol ingo (I'm working all day! Can't get everything done in a minute :pp)

Don't tell Jeff, he will get upset because you slow down the server a lot when using the search engine heavyly... Anyway, the search engine is a good alternative, but who wants to find every wip where someone said: "nice sky! change the skycolor! hey, never thought about a green sky, but it looks fabulous!" ;-ppp

rgds

nisus

Seems you never used a search engine, mod nisus ;) It even displays the forum section where it found the results, and of course you can type in more than one word, for example search for "sky" and "green".

I'm working all day!
Packing virtual Christmas presents i assume. Its hard to render a decent package, i know. :D

hi ingo... i know why i hardly use a search engine... never got the results i want with a single click... (and yeah, I'm a damn lazy bastard... héhé)

virtual xmas gifts? not really... damn webpage slowing-down-speeding-up-wait-wait-program-error-design-aaah-mmm-nice-beuh-yiha-almost-finished...

rgds

nisus

You dont know what you miss, just try the Google picture search engine, thats a lot of fun and inspiration, really. Even if you dont need a picture, this is better than TV.

"There are 10 different kind of people, those that understand binaries and those that dont"

Just a nice programmers joke for the frustrated webdesigner nisus

What is a mirc (really)? Is it something dirty, if yes, where can i get it ?

Well in the moment i'm using half of Hamburgs internet bandwidth, i hear a nice MP3 radio station, trying to break your posted mesages report on this forum and discussing on another forum how to get my raydiosity rendering better. Oh and in the backround there runs a rendering, because its a shame to use the computer and dont render anything.

Have fun

ingo

aaah, irc. Thats where strange girls hang around to grab one of the unsuspecting lonesome boys. Sorry doesn't work for me here, .exe files are simply useless on my Mac. But i have to wait anyway till i order my dictation software, than i dont have to type everything.

thanks mate

ingo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I like it! Should everyone be able to post to it and start a "unchallenge" or just mods?

So the premise is that somebody has a model or an idea and everyone work together to solve the probelm or test different techniques and softwares etc. The reason I aked about who can post is what would happen if 15 people post differnent "unchallenges". Would everyone be abel to focus enough attention to each to ensure that the probelm and techniques evolve? Maybe this won't matter, just thinking aloud. Anyway I think this is an awesome idea. Sorry I did not get to it sooner...was kind of hectic in December.

Originally posted by nisus:

Unchallenge ;) sounds good ,)))

Hi Jeff,

I think you hit right on target asking your question about who can set up a topic. It might be better for the mods to control the frequency of a post to focus enough attention as you mentioned before. ;)

damn... my mind is flowing with unchallenge-ideas!

rgds

nisus