Arch pro materials to Vray?

hockley91

Does anyone have a script or know of a way to change Mental Ray or pro materials to "standard" or "vray" materials?

By importing .fbx into 3DS Max the materials transfer under Mental Ray assigned renderer, but switching to Vray cancels out the associations with geometry to material textures.

I like Vray a lot and I haven't had the time to work with Mental Ray.

Any ideas or should I just stick with Mental Ray for this because Autodesk is in kahoots with Mental Ray...

Thanks!

Hi

Sorry, no way. ChaosGroup can´t do that or they write different Shaders as mental images. The Future is MetaSL and that is mental images. Chaos Group must pay for the license and all other Rendercompanys too. I don´t know when Chaos Group pay for MetaSL to mental images. When not, i don´t need Vray in the Future.

mfg

hot chip

Vray already reads Mental Ray Architectural materials... (It does convert it internally to a Vray Material at render time, so not really using the MentalRay materials/shaders, but "just" a conversion tool.)

For ProMaterials, a converter is possible, but there is a lot of work to be done as there is a lot of ProMaterials to be converted...

Hi

Sorry, it is not possible to write a converter. You can only read the State of the Pro-Material, and put the Maps and Parameters in a VRay-Material, but you lost all functionality of the GUI from the Pro-Materials. You can not switch from Chrome_Metal to Steel_Metal, or setup the new Carpaint Material. Chaos Group must pay for the License and than can Chaos Group write MetaSL Shader as mental images.

PS: The most mental ray User work not with Pro-Materials, they work with TH-Materials. That have all Functions to optimize the Shaders.

mfg

hot chip

Edited by thorsten hartmann

This whole problem would be mute if Autodesk would enable A&D shaders in Revit. Does anyone know why they are not there? It would sure save a lot of time.

This whole problem would be mute if Autodesk would just acknowledge vray as the superior render engine and replace mental ray with vray as the standard render engine..... can't believe I just said that, hehehe

This whole problem would be mute if Autodesk would just acknowledge vray as the superior render engine and replace mental ray with vray as the standard render engine..... can't believe I just said that, hehehe

...with A&D shaders you could use them directly with Vray, or do a screen convert. It would open the process up to more engine options in 3dsMax, and easier to render Mental Ray images as well. A&D shaders offer more flexibility than Pro Mats.

It's all a conspiracy!!!!!

I think they just threw Mental Ray in there just because they got a good deal $$$ instead of Vray.

I think Autodesk is more preoccupied with the future of BIM and real time vs. global illumination for renderings and animations...

Hi

Sorry, it is not possible to write a converter. You can only read the State of the Pro-Material, and put the Maps and Parameters in a VRay-Material, but you lost all functionality of the GUI from the Pro-Materials. You can not switch from Chrome_Metal to Steel_Metal, or setup the new Carpaint Material. Chaos Group must pay for the License and than can Chaos Group write MetaSL Shader as mental images.

PS: The most mental ray User work not with Pro-Materials, they work with TH-Materials. That have all Functions to optimize the Shaders.

mfg

hot chip

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?44821-SP3-Arch-amp-Design-Materials-render-black-inside-of-Multi-Subs&highlight=promaterials

As the converter already exists for Arch & Design.. Of course it is not a full function that we are looking for, but just a time saver...

Hi Alain Blanchette,

yes you are right and i know that (Final Render can that too), but the Topic of this tread was "Pro-Materials" and that can Vray not convert. I had wrote the reasons. The Big Problem for Vray-User in the Future is, import Project from the Client, that use AutoCad or Revit. The Programms are using the Pro-Materials (based on MetaSL).

mfg

hot chip

Sorry,

i can´t see a Workflow at your link and Vlado hope he can do it for the next VRay Version 2.0, but that have he say for Vray 1.4 SP4 too and nothing! Vlado must say, he can do it, bevor to many User change from Vray to Mental ray. I can understand him.

mfg

hot chip

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...