How can I improve this image?

danb4026

Carlos, I don't have the freedom to change any design concepts, such as adding lighting, etc. I have to stick with the clients design and materials. They also want a daylight scene.

If you looked at the original rendering from the first post, you will see that I had alot of people and "ho" grass.

The image you probably saw is right out of the render without any post. I agree with using dusk lighting, but I can't.

I will also work on the tiling of the beige stone, Thanks.

Your image has become quite atmospheric. OK, now some brutal honesty for you. :D

Point1: The people let your image down bigtime, some of them have their native light source coming from the wrong direction, you have a guy in the background trying to take his t-shirt off which is well .... just a bit weird to be honest.

If you want to put well blended photos of people into your image I have a technique for you. I recommend that you put a plane in, map it with a person image (opacity mapped with its own alpha channel of course) and in its properties set it to cast no shadows. Then trace a new line around the person, extrude it 200mm, put it just behind your person billboard, and set it to be invisible to everything (including GI etc) ...allowing this extruded 'blocker' to only cast shadows. This will put people directly in your scene that will not only recieve the correct light tones, but will cast nice semi-correct shadows. But make sure they are suitable people... and try to go to lengths to keep a consistency of light direction with your image when choosing them.

Point2: To me your composition still feels a little bit wrong. To me you are too far away from what you are looking at so the hedge and edge condition on the bottom left is imposing in your image and its distracting... as is the tree on the right. I would suggest putting your cam closer in so these things just come into the shot a little more sympathetically, if at all. ;)

My final suggestion is not to have the sun coming from behind the camera, try and pick an opposing angle to emphasis a bit more contrast from your shadows some of the shadows are effectively disappearing because their angle means they fall directly behind the object thats casting them. This leaves the object looking unnaturally lit against its background, even though its technically correct (the plants at the back wall for example). If possible I would consider swinging the sun around to the left so that it's perpendicular to the line of your camera. This will get some nice shadows and put your back wall in shade, which opens up opportunities for emphasising the brightness of your screen etc.

I know this feedback has come a little late in the day but I hope it helps.

Andy, thanks for the feedback. When I have a chance, I am going to implement the changes that you suggest and see how it changes the image. Unfortunately, I have so many other images to get onto that I cannot play around with this much more, except in my spare time.

The client wanted the shadows to be lighter than they were originally, so I had to make them more subtle.

Thanks for the input and I will repost once I impletment the changes.