Importance of Post Post Production

CHE

I think it's also important to think of it not as post-post production (i.e., post 3D) but just part of the entire process. I start my photoshop/AE work very early in the process when I'm just producing test renders, even just clay renders. My photoshop work is mainly color grading, skies, the occasional tree, and photomontages. By starting early I can balance what I can achieve in photoshop vs. what I can achieve in 3D. I set up my photoshop files so I can basically just update the background(bottom) layer and maybe update a few masks (generated by 3D mattes) when it's a final version. Like a lot of other people I'm sure, it's very rare that I finish 3D, then render, and then do the photoshop work. Usually I have very little photoshop work at the end of a project.

A great description I once heard and something I stand by, the 3D package produces the footage and Post is where you produce the Magic.

I have never understood why people think that Post is cheating and that you should be assigned hero status if you never use post at all. Some one please explain this to me like I am a three year old.

jhv

A great description I once heard and something I stand by, the 3D package produces the footage and Post is where you produce the Magic.

I have never understood why people think that Post is cheating and that you should be assigned hero status if you never use post at all. Some one please explain this to me like I am a three year old.

jhv

Here is a simple analogy, (or a good laugh)

You buy a BMW because of its german engineering. However, that bmw was manufactured in the US or some other third world country. As the buyer of that bmw, do you feel cheated because it was produced somewhere other than germany?

I wouldn’t. So why would your client care if 50% of their rendering work was done with PS, AF...? :D

Here is a simple analogy, (or a good laugh)

You buy a BMW because of its german engineering. However, that bmw was manufactured in the US or some other third world country. As the buyer of that bmw, do you feel cheated because it was produced somewhere other than germany?

I wouldn’t. So why would your client care if 50% of their rendering work was done with PS, AF...? :D

to extend it further, most of the parts of that BMW are manufactured by someone else and are assembled in Germany. Its still a BMW

jhv

Early on I would try to do almost everything in 3D but when your boss asks you to change something 20 minutes prior to the presentation Photoshop becomes your best friend. I tend to do a lot more post production work now to get the feeling of the image just right. Whether it's color-correction or tweaking highlight and lowlights. It's essential in almost all of my images.