Onyx Tree - What is the best import method to Max for mapping purposes?

danb4026

• 2 months later...

Hi!

The best is Treestorm that keeps the tree parametric, customizable and animable with the wind.

I found useful importing it as an obj per part then convert it in mrproxy for a large distribution. The obj can export a higher number of polys than the 3ds.

Bye!

i like obj. You can export the obj file with multiple leaf id's so that that when you import it into max, you have a multi-sub material with however many different leaf variations you want. I take my leaf texture and vary the color value for each leaf slot.

I have to agree with Shawn, obj, or 3ds is the way to go...... I would only use treestorm if you plan on animating the tree. Even if you have to change the tree later you can always use an instance replacement script.

Treestorm creates multi/sub materials with a dozen extra (unused) slots.... quite annoying. When you export to file then import to max you get a nice clean muti/sub material. with just the 4 or 5 slots for the trunk and branches and however many leaf types you want.

I typically build my trees and once they're done they get proxied and thrown in the library for later use, I can't remember the last time I even bothered with treestorm.