Trouble shoot a scene - Call a Gaffer

Koper

Hopefully this wont be a long post:o

So the question is, what do you guys/girls look at when troubleshooting a scene that will render to long? (vray specific)

Tonight I had to troubleshoot a scene that showed 33hours for rendering, and checking everything I determined that it was vray displacement but still couldn't find the specific object with this displacement causing the headache, so I quickly wrote a script that listed all objects with a displacement modifier to it. lo and behold - 200 objects all with their own displacement modifier :eek:, (ps. not my scene, hehe)

So there was now way of checking the amount of displacement mod's in the scene without a script which made me think about writing a script for logging the most common features that will cause a scene to give trouble when rendering, such as 200 displacement modifiers. With this script we should be able to quickly determine what's going on in any given scene, especially if its not yours.

Ok if you read this far, goood. Below is a list that I'll be focusing on first to be logged.

1. amount of displacement mod's in the scene (this had to be the first one)

2. How many displacement objects generate GI

3. Amount of Instanced geometry that generate GI (For green's such as trees, GI can be turned off)

4. Highest/lowest reflection and/or refraction glossiness values & Interpolation checks

Feel free to add to this list, but remember, its only a script to print a list of values to a file.

I'll be calling it "Call a Gaffer" cause who else you gonna call??????????

hehe, no, its part of a series of handy scripts (Gaffer tools) that I have been developing and will be releasing later this year

Cool, hope to get some replies on this

Adriaan

Hopefully this wont be a long post:o

I'll be calling it "Call a Gaffer" cause who else you gonna call??????????

hehe, no, its part of a series of handy scripts (Gaffer tools) that I have been developing and will be releasing later this year

Cool, hope to get some replies on this

Adriaan

Maybe simpler more descriptive TroubleShooter? :p

And to ad to the list:

5. high material subdivs.. (70+)

6. high light and shadow subdivs

Maybe simpler more descriptive TroubleShooter? :p

And to ad to the list:

5. high material subdivs.. (70+)

6. high light and shadow subdivs

yes, Subdivs! definitely going to log that

cheers, thats perfect for the list