how to decide the rendering size

cmrhm

I am very curiously regarding how to determine the rendering resolution based on the client's requriment for the presentation board size.

Say I have 34"x22" presentation board, I need to render a site plan then PS in photoshop. I guess the min. resolution for PS is 150 dpi. calculation:

34"x150= 5100

11x150= 1650

So I need a rendering in 5100x1650? Does it mean I should have the same page size in photoshop?

Industry standard (print industry) dictates 300dpi. However, I would aim for 150dpi rendering for print at 36x36. Checking with your client is only a good idea if you know your client well or if you are capable and willing to do 300dpi. Most clients will request 300dpi if you ask what they want.

If fact, your client giving you an inch dimension without a dpi is kind of pointless. They are better off giving you an aspect ratio and saying 'we need it big'.

With all the gadgets now available (strip rendering, pre-calced lighting, DR etc) size should really never be a problem for print. Its when you start needing HD in animation that it gets a bit squeaky bum time.

Industry standard (print industry) dictates 300dpi. However, I would aim for 150dpi rendering for print at 36x36. Checking with your client is only a good idea if you know your client well or if you are capable and willing to do 300dpi. Most clients will request 300dpi if you ask what they want.

If fact, your client giving you an inch dimension without a dpi is kind of pointless. They are better off giving you an aspect ratio and saying 'we need it big'.

With all the gadgets now available (strip rendering, pre-calced lighting, DR etc) size should really never be a problem for print. Its when you start needing HD in animation that it gets a bit squeaky bum time.

Great inside tips on this issue. Thanks tommy.