left my brain at home, please help

Dave Buckley

how do i align a uvw map gizmo to one particular poly in my model

trying to map an image to one poly so that it fits 1 to 1 with the poly

i'm being really thick and think i'm doing it really more complicated than it needs to be

Well you can set the mapping to "face" mode, but this'll only work if you have a single poly. Well, no, it'll work with more, but it'll be repeated on EVERY poly.

i actually watched a video with someone doing this not so long ago, some one was doing it with a 3 piece canvas art work, they spread one image across the 3 pieces. anyone seen the video that can point me to it.

i remember the guy using the acquire feature in the uvw map settings.

yep cheers nice one, the model is from sketchup and already comes through as an edit mesh, i need 3 different images mapping to 3 different polygons on the one model.

in order to do what you described, i'd need 3 edit mesh modifiers and 3 uvw maps (1 per image) right?

I guess there's a degree of "to taste" involved.

I detached the faces and worked them each with their own uvws and material. Then reattached and welded. I think what appeals to me about that approach is that while the detaching/attaching adds some overhead, I get nice short stacks - this object, this uvw modifier, this material. Also lets me dragdrop images right from ThumbsPlus onto the individual objects. Then reattach and let the multimaterial sort itself out. Align Normal and Fit, of course.