Come on Everyone - We need 3D Awards Submissions!

Jeff Mottle

Excellent Jeff, I know where to post comments now thanks. I am using a 12 inch netbook to view this at the moment. So I am just about getting away with it. The netbook is really handy for forums and reading I find, because one can pick it up and leave it down around work like a book almost. A pity though, they didn't agree on standardised power supplies for netbooks, so that I could have multiple charge points distributed in the various rooms for when I use the netbook all over the place.

Edited by Brian O'Hanlon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but still very few animations and real-time submissions.

Maybe its because of the industry and general world economy. We haven't done much animation of late, and the stuff we have done has not been show stopper due to time and budget allowances.

I also think the real-time stuff is very niche - do the archvis people do those directly, or perhaps it's mostly outsourced to the web guys? I'm sure this category will grow up in the years to come with AR and similar technology.

Excellent Jeff' date=' I know where to post comments now thanks. I am using a 12 inch netbook to view this at the moment. [/quote']

This forum is also easy to read/browse on an iPhone.

• Administrators
In terms of low numbers of animations being submitted, maybe a lot of people are simply assuming that the third seventh animation is going to win this year?

He's not even submitted, so I don't think you'll have to worry. At least not yet anyway.

I feel a bit guilty for starting a discusson that was not at all intended.

I just have to say that my initial post did not say any of the things that later posts imply :)

I did not know that this was a returning subject, and I was just trying to explain why I think that people are reluctant.

My post did NOT state that there should be separate categories or something like that:)

I don't agree with this professional vs personal argument at all, which seems to come up every year. Arch Viz is the visualization of architecture. full stop. There is no rule that says it has to be done for a client, done for an architect or real-estate developer etc. In most cases I think it's a cope out to say that "my client doesn't allow me to be creative" Either your creative or your not. A true artist can make a bad project or client look good. Yes there are varying levels of good, but who or how the work is done is completely irrelevant. I think it would be a complete waste of time, and absolutely uninspiring to hold a competition to reward mediocre work just becuase that's that what the average person in this industry creates. Holding an industry award is about finding work that inspires the industry to make their own work better and to raise the creative and artistic bar.

Should the Oscars prevent Hollywood blockbusters from being eligible because their budgets were higher? Or prevent art films becuase they are not main stream enough? Sorry guys, but these comments are incredibly demotivating. I spend thousands of dollars every year to hold these awards, not to mention the hundreds of hours involved. Based on the lack of entries and the lack of desire to feature the best work (not the best mediochre work), I honestly don't see much of a future for these awards.

I just don't get it...

I totally agree!!!!

CGArchitect Awards has been very decent and awards the quality and pioneers. That is why it is called "award". It is not about displaying and documenting the the standard medium level of industy but it is documenting and displaying the best, striking, innovative, authentic works. This is what makes the industry go a step further.

Moreover, anyone is free to make personal works and send as well as commercial works.

I want to submit, but there is a problem with my accounts. It seems that I made a second account for this and the forum bug put a new strange name for this and I am trying to merge accounts but can't find the link for this.

Anyway, as soon as I can solve this problem, I will make submission too :)

• Administrators
I totally agree!!!!

I want to submit, but there is a problem with my accounts. It seems that I made a second account for this and the forum bug put a new strange name for this and I am trying to merge accounts but can't find the link for this.

Anyway, as soon as I can solve this problem, I will make submission too :)

Email me at jmottle@cgarchitect.com and we can sort this out.

I know you all defend the hobbyists vs the professional image argument as being irrelevant. But I personally won't be entering any of our work. , because I know it will not stand up to an overly laboured piece of art. Another thing I have noticed is we have taken on loads more work in the last year to compensate for lower pay rates. So I have not had time to put extra effort into any of those projects which enables us to compete against the hobbyists. I think a lot of people don't feel there standard work can compete. Maybe I am wrong, the exception to the rule, but I know that is why we will give this year a miss, maybe next year. Possibly get a flood of work at 11:00pm on the eve of the 30th?

I know you all defend the hobbyists vs the professional image argument as being irrelevant. But I personally won't be entering any of our work. , because I know it will not stand up to an overly laboured piece of art. Another thing I have noticed is we have taken on loads more work in the last year to compensate for lower pay rates. So I have not had time to put extra effort into any of those projects which enables us to compete against the hobbyists. I think a lot of people don't feel there standard work can compete. Maybe I am wrong, the exception to the rule, but I know that is why we will give this year a miss, maybe next year. Possibly get a flood of work at 11:00pm on the eve of the 30th?

I think it is maybe wrong to only enter if you think the image will win something. Ive just entered two images that have no chance, but it really is the taking part that counts! This community exists because...well because its a cummunity. Everone that gets alot from CGA tends to put alot back. Sharing your work in this arena is just like putting your work up for a crit, but more formalized. The benefits to the community from this competition have been listed by Jeff. Dont just enter to win, you miss the point. Enter because we are all roots of the same tree.

Posted 5 images yesterday and will be our first time submitting for an event of the sort. It would be ironic if the first time we participated, the event got canceled!! =)

Good luck to everyone who did participate though.

• Administrators

Wow, nothing like waiting until the last minute. About 30-40% of the entries have just landed in the last 24 hours!! An all time record for last minute. As a result there will not be a public vote this year, just the pre-selected judges. There just isn't enough time to do both unfortunately. There are definitely some awesome images and a handful of good animations. I've not had a chance to review the RT entries yet. As of the writing of this post we're at about 800 images, 80 animations, and 40 RT. Yeah! We don't need to cancel the awards!! Thanks everyone for coming through.

• Administrators
I can not submit the image. When you boot the following message

ADODB.Command error '800a0d5d'

Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.

/3dawards/2010/submit_image.asp, line 82

Tell my what to do.Thanks

The FAQ/Site rules provide instructions on how to submit. However you've only got about 30 min.