First attempt

Jim

Hey Jim, and welcome (as if i were that old in this forum :p )

This is a very nice try. The modelling is perfect (nothing to say about it), but ur image lacks some basic lighting & texturing. U seem to have used only one spotlight in this scene with no GI/Radiosity. The shadows are too dark, and the lighting doesn't reflect at all the material type (except for the metal ballpoint of course).

For a start, u can try using basic studio lighting (if u don't want GI) with one main Light (a spotlight for ex that will be ur main light source) placed at 45 degrees from the camera, a Fill light (Place it on sides - this simulates bouncing light and softens shadows): The fill light should have a low multiplier. And finally a Kicker or Backlight, coming somwhere from the back. This light helps ur lit object rise from the background (used in photography a lot). This light can have a high multiplier (1 to 3 - at least that's what i use).

This is basic studio lighting and can give stunning results for simple scenes like this one. U can also try GI/Radiosity if ur 3D package has these features included.

U can also try working on the materials, mostly the hand grip. It looks flat. What is it? Plastic, rubber. Is it shiny or matte (here it looks matte). Try adding Specular reflection maps, use a texture map instead of a flat color and add some dirt, scratches, finger print marks, etc, that's what adds realism. To be honest, ur image looks more like a prototype presentation (too clean) rather than a photorealistic pen. If prototyping is what u want, u're on the right track, if else, then try working on texturing and lighting a bit more. Only basics; no need to dig too far. Believe me u'll see the whole difference.

All in all, very nice job(u didn't expect that one did u? ;) ), keep up the good work and keep me posted.

rgds

TAKA

[ August 27, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: TAKA ]

Thanks Taka,

It seems I have some work to do with regards to the lighting. Unfortunatly, I never seem to worry about lighting but I see it's going to have to play a bigger part in my modelling than I expected!

Ta for the crit.