Game Systems (PS2 vs XBOX)

CHE

I'm planing to buy a game system next week. I have heard and read reviews on PS2 and XBOX but I still can't figure out which system is the best. I'll be using the DVD feature a lot so that's important as well as general quality. So please help me out. I'm looking forward to read your comments. :D Thank you.

Both of the systems are good. They both have pros & cons about them. XBOX has superior graphics. They both offer online play capabilities; however, there will be a charge to play online on the XBOX whereas the PS2 will be free (if you allready have a broadband connection). Both both have great games.

To me PS2 is the answer. The deciding factor GTA: Vice City baby! IMHO the greatest game ever made (aside from CS).

hi guys, ;)

well.....for me this insnt a complex Q....

the answer is playstation 2 of course. i dont agree with kainoa about the better graphics of the xbox, cause i didnt see yet this better graphics in any game. certainly 'they' clame a better processor better this better that, but is all in theory. maybe you should search on the web in this sites and you will see for yourself.

i tell you an example: when i go to FNAC to buy a game, i look to the xbox side , and there is only one shelf with some games, then i look to the ps2 side and i see lots of shelves with undreds of games .

so the important is: i will going to play the best and any game i want to, or i will be play a game in this year and maybe another one on the next?

i use the ps2 as a dvd player for a year and a half almost every weeks and it rocks so....

its your choice. ;)

here are the favourites for me:

1-Finanal Fantasy X

2-Metal Gear Solid 2

3-Silent Hill 2

4-GT3

5-Jak and Dexter

i hope this might help you

best to you and great gaming for the future.

nuno

I'm planing to buy a game system next week. I have heard and read reviews on PS2 and XBOX but I still can't figure out which system is the best.
What about your PC? Many good games are avalable on PC, and the dedicated machines offer fairly low resolution. On a PC you can play at 1024x768 or higher.

Let us not forget that were it not for PC gamers (I'm not one of them) we would all still be spending $2,000 for a fast vectorizing/pixel-fill graphics card. The mass gamers market made the great hardware we rely on CHEAP. Not 3DS, DOOM.

The only game I have is Tony Hawk Pro Skater (2, 3 and 4 as soon as it gets ported to PC) This is because I am getting too old to skate like that, and can't face it. Also, my son loves them, but is too young to skate like that.

The PC is the best platform for THPS, and if you use an nVidia graphics card (probably others too) you can use 3D shutter glasses (I have Elsa Revelator) and play any DirectX game in color stereo, baby! I tried it out a few nights ago on my W2K machine and it worked GREAT. I played for an hour or so until I was so nauseous I had to stop. You have to limit yourself.

I have heard that with the SoftQuatro you can get the glasses to display OpenGL in stereo, too, but haven't tried it yet.

I bought a Wingman Extreme game controler, but you can get clone Playstation or Xbox controlers, I think.

Stats:

PS2: 2 votes

XBOX: 0 votes

PC: 1 Votes

So far I think that PS2 is the answer. Yup, I heard that Microsoft will be charging to play online, that sucks.

On the other hand, I don't think that playing games and DVDs on my workstation would be a good idea. I heard that playing games on your PC will slow down it's performance. I could possible build a small system for gamming and to play DVDs but it will be way more expensive. btw, I do have a Nvdia processor, a "quadro2 pro" (Elsa III) I don't know if I would like to play around with it tough. Thanks to you all, Nuno I'll check those links.

XBOX anyone?

[ November 22, 2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Hi Che,

don´t even hesitate. PS2 is by far the best gaming platform at the moment, and in the future until the arrival of PS3 ;) . Sony don't "play" in service, they are the best in this business.

Like Nuno said, the best games are in PS2. That is the key for your buy.

GO and buy it, you won't regret it, really. :)

See you,

Rui.

hey che, ;)

look what is waiting for you.....

sh301.jpg

sh302.jpg

sh303.jpg

sh304.jpg

sh305.jpg

cool haa....

btw , where is that 'fullscene antialiasing' that microsoft claims about.... :???:

sorry kainoa but i cant agree with you about xbox has better graphics....

sony doesnt claim 'fullscene aa'....check thoes images above.

best to you

nuno

Thanks for the comments guys. I still have a whole week to make my choice. Althought I think it will be PS2 ;) I would like to read what those XBOX users have to say about this topic, but I guess there aren't many or they might be too busy playing a game some where :???: hehehehehe. Hey Nuno those are some pretty nice screenshoots!!!! I'm definitly looking forward to experience that. On the other hand, I have heard that Halo is one of the best games right now. Kainoa, do you really think that Xbox have better graphics? I kinda like Halo because it reminds me of Quake. I used to be a Quake junkie when I was in college :p Does PS2 have a Quake like game? Anyway, I really appreciate your input. I'll be reading and asking during this weekend and next week before I buy my system. Thanks again.

[ November 22, 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

PS2 has awesome graphics dont get me wrong...however the hardware in the xbox allows for alot more possibilities and Halo2 is taking full advantage of it. On the other hand, like everyone else has stated - it all comes down to games.

Halo is the best FPS on xbox but 1 awesome game is not good enough to buy the system. If you're a Quake junkie you should really consider your PC. Doom III is near. IMHO FPS games play and look alot better on a PC.

The last game system that I owned was an Atari lol. So as you can see I'm pretty much looking forward to buy a new console (plus I was planning to buy a DVD player anyway). That's why I asked for your help. I still have to make my choice. Thank y'all for your comments.

[ November 26, 2002, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: CHE ]

I just wanted to let you all know that I finally bought my game system. It is a PS2 with two games: Mortal Kombat "Deadly alliance" and The lord of the rings "two towers". I'm very happy and I think that it was the best choice. Thank you all for your comments, they really helped me out.

Hey Nuno do you know if I will be able to save two different games in one memory card? For instance, I will be saving my Lord of the rings game and my Mortal Kombat's player profile. How do memory cards work exactly? Hehehehehehe Thanks.

hi che,

the links for games reviews are GAMESPOT (videogames) and IGN

and for cheats ( :D ), this one CHEATS .

my PS2 favourites are:

Final Fantasy X (rpg)

Silent Hill 2 (survivor/horror)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (action/espionage/tactical)

GT3 (cars)

Jak and Daxter (platform)

and so on..... ;)

dont forget to check the REVIEWS section on the sites. very realistic score. i did confirm by my self already.

Thanks for the tips Nuno. I'll think that I'll be visiting the cheats site very often hehehehehe. I'm still waiting for my memory cards. I ordered them online.... redface2.gif

Edited !!! Great. Thanks again.

[ December 03, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]