HTML coding question

Ernest Burden III

Normally that calls an html-file, news is just a subdomain of Google.
I'm sorry, but I don't get it yet. It does NOT call news.html, I tried that scenerio before posting the question---unless I did something wrong.

Is there something special to it being a 'sub-domain'?

I can always just email the client a direct URL to a page devoted to his project, I was just hoping it could be clientname.acmedigital.com to make it extra-easy for him to remember while on the road.

Hi Ernest,

well www.google.com doesn't call google.html too, afaik a sublevel-domain calls also an index.html page. And i'm not sure if your provider can offer you sublevel-domains, its normally used by big companies, althought most of them have nowadays different domains instead.

In your case its more common to make a folder on your webserver for the client and gave him the url, like www.acmedigital.com/clientname/ and put your previews in there. And when you have no link on your website its invisible for other clients.

regards

ingo

• Administrators

Hey Ernest,

A subdomain is really just like a normal domain name but it a subset or alias of the main domain. I'll explain this quickly so as no to bore you. When you type in a URL, that information is sent to one of the root servers on the Internet to lookup what IP address is assigned to that domain name and where the server that hosts that IP exits. Once it knows that, the traffic is sent to the host service that hosts that web server. As most hosts obviously have many servers they have what is called A DNS (Domain Name server), very similar to the Root servers, that then directs the traffic to the proper internal server. When the host's DNS get's a request that contains a subdomain it has a record of which server or virtual server that subdomain is pointed.

Just like you register a domain with a domain registration service, so that it is propogated to all of the ROOT servers, your would register a subdomain with your webhost's DNS.

A domain or a subdomain points to a folder on the server's HD. The server's will have a web software that is capable of serving and interpretting HTTP requests (like IIS or Apache) and in these programs you can specify which HTML page will be served if you only call the directory. IE. If you call www.cgarchitect.com/myfolder IIS know to execute default.htm or default.asp. But it could be anything. Your host will probably have set this as either default.htm or index.htm.

Subdomains are usually billed out at a few bucks a month as someone actually had to update a DNS. Probably takes about 15 seconds, but that's how thay make their money. If you don't want to do that then the cheapest and fastest route is to create a folder instead. www.acmedigital/clientname

clientname.acmedigital.com also points to a folder that would execute the specified HTML file.

Hope that all made sense..Internet 101 byt Jeff has been conclded and there will be a test on Monday. :)