I must be mad...

Craig Ramsay

Hah, went to school in southwestern Virginia (Virginia Tech, GO HOKIES) and bought a nice little mountain bike. Rode the hell out of it too. Now that I've graduated, I moved back to New York City where I grew up, and unless you count the endless amounts of traffic between my home and my office in New Jersey as rugged terrain, my mountain bike is relegated to ride to my friends house, go to the bar, ride back intoxicated (which is an adventure in it's own right,) and go to bed. Poor poor bike....

David Barbarash

I just got back from a nice ride! Glad to see other bikers on here.

I've biked on and off for a while on my trusty (albeit aging) Fat Chance. I've been in the market for a new bike, but haven't found the right one yet.

It's the best sport out there, imho. And yeah, it's dangerous, I've got a nice scar along my shoulder from surgery!

It's worth the risk, you just learn to go a little slower ;)

I have a Canondale hardtail collecting too much dust in my garage. I don't get to ride that often, I work too much. And there are some GREAT trails within 5 - 15 minutes of my house, I can go for a ride over lunch. So why don't I? I'm becoming a lazy fat-ass, that's why! Sometimes I get some renderer friends to come up from Brooklyn (NY talk) but they're busy, too.

I don't think of mountain biking as THAT dangerous, we have helmets. If you don't come back a little bloody you probably didn't do it right. Unconcious is probably too much. But Bandaids are cheap.

LOL im scared now eek2.gif

I wanted a bike just for fitness and had a budget of £200 to buy a hardtail but in the space of a month that went out the window to buy a full suspension Kona in the sales for £680 :rolleyes:

I used to be really into rollerblading but after 2 broken wrists I decided it wasn't the sport for me... hope to god I don't break any more bones!

Craig

Mad is spending £1300 on a Marin B17 full sus, then not using it much, but upgrading the brakes from cable discs to hydraulic ones becuase hydro's work better and I might get out on it this year. Maybe. And shelling out £200 on a Qranq full face helmet (in pearlecsent white to match the B17's frame). All I used that for was head-butting tree branches out the way :D .

I haven't managed to injure myself yet, but I've bounced off a couple of trees at 40+mph (I was coated in blood from grazes that scarred) and wrecked a couple of bikes (cheap ones).

I am glad that I never got into downhill, man, that's the crazy stuff. That B17 is a suicide machine (pretty cool, though)!

Don't worry about spending what you did (not sure what the exchange rate is). Next time around you'll spend double and not think twice ;)

yaa bike are fun....when i lived (and owned my own business) in the sunny island of trinidad, i rode at least 4 days a week. somtimes in the middle of the day after some frustrating meeting..

now that i am in the usa...(got me a shiny black giant with all the trimming .. ) i have rode it two times this year....

it seems i have got time for everything else except my MB....maybe i should sell it..

or i am wondering if i am missing the laid back life i had back on the island in the sun and return home... after all its gonna start getting cold soon and then......

Yeah, I stay away from sports where there are other large, intelligent (arguably, I guess) things that can harm me. So no diving, those sharks, and hockey I would surely be in trouble. Bet their fun, though.

Mountain biking and snowboarding are the two extremes for me. Glad to see people with good hobbies on here (you'd never know it ;) ) with all of our computer gibberish!

• 4 weeks later...

Craig, you are not mad, I have that title covered.

I have been racing Cross Country for the last 9 years. I got burned out after I competed in a 24 hour relay race, in Moab, last October. I took off this year to hit my business real hard!

I have owned 3 carbon Treks. Currently have a 9.9pro issue and an older carbon road bike for training. If you look at my profile you will see I am in Northwest Indiana. Not many mountains or even hills here. I have been traveling to compete in the big races. £680 crazy??? Heck no, try $3500. I just dropped $450 for my new XTR cranks!!! My wife thinks I am insane, but cycling has allowed me to vent after a hard day, actually keeping me from gong insane! If I have any free time, I am working on my cycling site: www.NWIBike.com