Blow Up Net Render

quizzy

hey....

Due to the limitations the region net render script has, I'm doing a blow up net render script, if someone has any suggestions, you are welcome to do so.

so far my ideas are:

- final bitmap size

- amount of horizontal and vertical parts

- only connect to servers with a performance above some value you can type in.

- only connect to servers with a certain amount of memory

And ofcourse there will be a "render" button :D

The only disadvantage right now is that i'm not able to make it in one job submission, ie: If you choose to render to 12 parts (4x3) then there will be 12 jobs submitted to your queue manager.

comments are welcome!!

[ August 26, 2002, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: quizzy ]

the main problem with RNR is still the "can't create bitmap" error. Keep in mind i'm only using MAX4 and haven't tried viz4 or max5 yet...

The RNR needs to create a full size bitmap and then renders a part. The rest of the picture is black, but still consumes memory.

And you're right about that submitting one job thingy....

[ August 27, 2002, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: quizzy ]

And what are you planning to solve the Can't Create Bitmap issue?

This is mainly a RAM limitation, and within VIZ 4 and MAX 5 you can use the Bitmap Pager to solve it.

Also, RNR will cut the RAM requirements in half if the image is 32 bits, since the renderer renders in 64 bits. This means you can probably double the image size you can render with RNR compared to the renderer and also you do not have all textures and mesh in RAM, making it even emptier.

Good luck on your script!

Alexander

just maybe an stupid idea... but...

How if you create a camera from the original camera. then you animate it n frames (n computers in the network rendering). Each frame you animate the camera moving zooming or whatever to position the camera to render the blowing section manually. I know it's harder, but this way I think you could be able to render a sequence in only one job. What do you think?

Originally posted by abicalho:

And what are you planning to solve the Can't Create Bitmap issue?

well if you do a blow-up render it renders to an image of just lets say 640x480, but it takes the region that you select... check this link:

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=465

hope that will explain it...better...

Originally posted by HeDaCoM:

just maybe an stupid idea... but...

How if you create a camera from the original camera. then you animate it n frames (n computers in the network rendering). Each frame you animate the camera moving zooming or whatever to position the camera to render the blowing section manually. I know it's harder, but this way I think you could be able to render a sequence in only one job. What do you think?

well try it hedacom... its simply not possible because of the perspective distortion the other camera's have...

Talking about stupid.... I am more stupid than you, I've just found a region net render macroscript in my \maxroot\ui\macroscripts\macro_rnr.mcr and I allways thought it wasn't supported by max4, but it does. Actually the name is very misleading, its not a region renderer but a crop renderer. So not that stupid I hope ;)

Anyway, I now know how it works and i'll propably will make a blowup render anyway, but its now a little lower on my priority script list..

Maybe i'll just add some things to the original script, like: performance index of the servers and Internal memory of the servers.. Or I will still make my own, I don't know yet.. I'm a little disappointed about this all..... But I still learned some things though...

my feelings: :mad::rolleyes::(:Deek2.gif :???:

Hi all,

Seems like I nearly missed a whole interesting topic, but after I took a close look, I think we already had a similar talk at another place in this forum.

Still need beta-testers quizzy? (Count me in!)

How is you script going on?

rgds

nisus

Hi quizzy...

There have to be some way to join the images without the max interface... What about calling an external program to join the images? Is it possible in max script to execute programs? Sorry about my ignorance in scripting... you could use the montage programa of the great Imagemagick tools. check it! and they are free.

http://www.imagemagick.org/www/montage.html

yes you can execute external programs read the following:

Executing External Commands and Programs

MAXScript provides two methods for executing external programs. DOSCommand() takes a DOS command as a string and send it to the system for execution. It has the form:

DOSCommand

Examples

DOSCommand "delete c:\\temp\\foo.dat"

DOSCommand ("copy " + source_file + " " + dest_folder)

You can use this function to launch other programs, for example, or perform such tasks as gathering all the material texture and displacement image files in your scene into one folder.

The DOSCommand() function returns an integer which is the status result returned by the executed system command.

ShellLaunch() emulates a user double-clicking on a specified file in Windows. It has the form:

ShellLaunch

Whatever you send to ShellLaunch will be run by the Windows shell automatically, ie:

ShellLaunch "E:\\tests\\lookup.html" ""

would launch Netscape/Ie4 with lookup.html.

If a file-name extension is not specified in , Windows will search the specified directory for executable files. If no directory is specified, Windows will search the paths in the Path environment variable for the executable file. For example:

shellLaunch "e:/program files/ucalc/ucalc" ""

will execute the ucalc.exe file in the specified directory.

The is passed to the launched application as command line parameters. For example:

shellLaunch "e:/t.avi" "/play /loop"

Will launch the application associated with .avi files, and pass /play and /loop as command line parameters.

Originally posted by quizzy:

BUT:

it still gives an error when creating a bitmap of lets say 12000x12000, so I have to re-create the parts as one image in photoshop, and me NOT like!!

As I said above, the problem is because MAX does NOT have enough contiguous RAM to hold the bitmap.

You need to use the Bitmap Pager (see Readme in MAX 4) to solve this problem.

Alexander | discreet QE