Another stair question...sorry

kid

I need to make a flight of stairs which are not a simple rectangular shape. It needs to be a trapezoid.

stair.gif

I was hoping I could just split them like splitting a slab, or trim to a wall, but they just don't work. There has to be a way to create a stair that is like this, or atleast a way to trim it down to such a shape!?

I dunno about this Archicad program ;)

archicad 8 has a boolean tool. it can simply subtract the wall from the stair.

with archicad 7 there is no way i am aware of.

i did advanced stuff like this in 3dsmax, before rendering.

archicad's strenght is the parametric and simple modelling. there are many limitations, but for 99% of architectual geometry this approach allows much faster working than with a more advanced modeller.

OK. I'm using archicad 7 at the uni but I've ordered a student version of archicad 8 for at home. Hopefully it comes with some manuals, so I can stop bugging you guys :angeuhoh:

The problem I'm having is that our design lecturer is making us use archicad and art*lantis because he's entering the projects in a student competition. Most of the students have some knowledge of archicad from last year's CAD class but I was given an excemption from the class, so I have to learn it in the next 3 weeks. I'm finding it pretty easy to learn and it's great for simple rectangular stuff, but it (version 7 atleast) seems to have some big limitations.

I guess I could just drop a rectangular stair in, then edit it in Max, and not tell my lecturer ;)

you could easily model your staircase with the "create stair using selection" command... so just draw some fill witch represents the irregular 2d shape of your staircase and a (grouped) "line of travel" in the floorplan and call the "create stair" command from the "tools" menu!

works fine for me...

greets, chris

@kid (and of course everyone else ;)

if you have further questions concerning archicad you can simply ask me, and i´ll do my best to answer them... we pretty much use it [archicad] in our architectural office for everything from modelling to construction drawings.

yeah! ...and today the new 8.0r2 version arrived at our door, great enhancement done since 7.0!

hey that works great. thank you!

Great to have you around Chris. I'm pretty new to Archicad so expect to see a lot of questions in this forum from me ;)

I've read on Mac's version 8 is much much slower than version 7, I assume that's not the case on PC? I should get my student version of version 8 very soon :)

[ March 19, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: kid ]

i don´t have any mac around here, so i can´t really compare! but in win-xp the speed is quite ok, and about the same compared to archicad 7...

but watch out! don´t use ac8.0r1 if you can avoid that one, it has some serious 2d redraw problems and the usual bugs of release1 versions! r2 is still not perfect but much better.

Originally posted by chris koehler:

you could easily model your staircase with the "create stair using selection" command... so just draw some fill witch represents the irregular 2d shape of your staircase and a (grouped) "line of travel" in the floorplan and call the "create stair" command from the "tools" menu!

works fine for me...

greets, chris

fing05.gifthx chris, I'll have to give that a try!

paul

• 1 month later...