WTF! Archicad 7 and 8 continually crashing...

Ken Walton

I have no idea what's going on - recently Archicad has been acting totally screwy on me lately. I've had both 7 and 8 installed on my machine for a year or so now and had no problems. In the past week, I can't seem to keep either program open. I'll open it, merge or open a DWG, make a few changes and then... if I try to use the zoom tool sometimes - it crashes. if I try to save my document - it crashes. I've got the 8.1 upgrade but haven't installed it yet - right now it doesn't seem like it would solve anything since both versions 7 and 8 are having the EXACT SAME problems... If anyone's run into anything like this or has any ideas, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks,

Ken Walton

What OS are you running Mac or Windows, NT etc.?

We have been having weird things happening on specific computers, and then with another computer of the same configuration it runs fine. Trashing the Archicad preferences or reinstalling Archicad has had some success. 8.1 calmed down some of the issues but there is work to be done.

Graphisoft has been working on a software speed upgrade for the Mac platform for some time now with pleasant results... at least from the test data that I've seen. The public release is expected soon.

Since you are having these problems with both 7 and 8 you might try trashing your preferences and see if that helps first. That would at least start narrowing things down a bit.

[ February 18, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Ace_Face ]

I'm running win2k. Program crashes when I attempt the exact same things in both versions. Now for another f'*ng twist - it's happening on two computers that are not even close to being connected. Like I said before, everything was fine until about 1-2 weeks ago on my workstation. I hadn't run ArchiCAD on my laptop (version 7 still) in almost a year. Now both computers do the exact same thing. The only common denominator I can see here is the key - this is my second one by the way, my first one completely "crapped out."

Any ideas?

Ken Walton

You should try deleting your preferences and see if that works. If that doesn't do it then contact your reseller to get a new hardware key. That would be the next logical step.

Sorry I don't have any other more meaningful suggestions at this time, but please let us know how this progresses.

• 2 weeks later...