archicad 8.0 library correction

arkitect

We just got our hands over the 8.0 version, and we are having problems when trying to modify the new libray parts (not the .pla files). We had no problem with the 7.0 library since they were all external objects. For instance, when opening the structural marker object subtype and making changes so it fits our needs, when I try to save the changes, ArchiCad prompts to save to a new file, not the existing one inside the .apx extension. Is there any way to change these library parts (subtypes) or making ArchiCAD overwrite the original marker inside the .apx extension?

(hope i made myself clear)

I would suggest that you make the changes and save the object as a new name. Then use the new object in place of the old one. We use an additive approach to changes to the object library by leaving the original files alone. This way, when new versions of Archicad come out, we don't have to redevelop objects that we've already improved.

THANKS for the fast answer. I did that with the 7.0 library, so I could use the same objects when version 8.0 came, but I don´t know how to replace or use the old ones because some of the library parts are inside the extensions. The objects used by the extensions are inside them, not as separate objects. The problem is that if I save the objects with another name or even the same name, the extension or macro will use the original object, not the modified one. What I´m trying to do is to change those objects, but I end having duplicate objects/names loaded inside the active library, and still unable to use the new ones. Note that I can place the new ones manually, but marks of the structural grid and other objects can sometimes be a lot of work.

Any other suggestion would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Well...

I don't have any good news. From all appearances it seems that the "Structural Grid Marker" lives inside of the "Structural Grid Folder" that is created by the API. As you know it is possible to open the object and make changes, but no way to save over the original object. Unless you can find the original object outside the code, there is no way to replace it. I've looked also and can't find it.

Sorry there seems to be no way out of this one. I will keep looking though.

P.S. We have a couple of people from Graphisoft in our office today so I'll ask if this is possible.

[ August 28, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Ace_Face ]

Ace_:

Thanks a lot. It was getting quite frustrating to thing that I was doing something wrong, or that I had been missing some magic button. Anyway, I'll keep searching for the answer for this one. If I find something, I´ll post it. Let me know what the people from Graphisoft said. That´s one of the things of version 8.0 we don´t like.

arkitect,

Just got out of our meeting with our Graphisoft reps. Other note objects can currently be replaced with user created custom note objects by pointing to the object from the Label Settings.

AC8_Label_Settings.jpg

The API for the Structural Grid Maker doesn't yet include this feature. This issue has been raised and will probably be implemented in future releases. I'm hoping 8.1