gallery and new logo

HeDaCoM

ok ok then all of you like the actual logo? m I don't like it too much ;)

well that free php gallery is not the best one I've sesn... the idea was to have a gallery with a feedback system. so people could post any comments on the image.

this is another great image gallery in php. yes I know you like ASP but php is the future heh ;)http://photography-on-the.net/ee/view.php

• Administrators

HeDaCom:

Not to worry the gallery will be a top notch app with all the bells and whistles that people are asking for. However, just updating the gallery is not as easy as it may sound. Most of the site is very tightly tied togeter. One change in the gallery means a change in about 10 other places on the site, which mean more changes as a result of that change, etc etc. you get the idea. This is why I am going to be re-designing the site and why the whole process will take about 6 months. While some of the site is running on a MSSQL database, most of it, inclusing the gallery is runing in Access. This all needs to be ported over to MSSQL. This is further complicated the fact that the database is a moving target. (always changing) Anyway, if you are familiar with PHP, I'm sure you understand.

Nisus:

PHP, ASP, JSP. ASP.net, ColdFusion etc. are all server side programming languages. They are meant for programing of dynamic content. I'll use the gallery as an example to explain.

Many webpages in the begining were static and done only with HTML. So in the gallery each page of 8 images would 1 HTML page. Each image would then link to another page for the large image with information. So if you had 16 images in you gallery you would have two thumbnail pages (8 images each) and 16 detail pages. You can see how quickly this will grow as more and more images are added. Also if I ever needed to make a design change I would have to edit all of the pages individually.

When you use a server side programming language like PHP or ASP you create a template page that contains placeholders for data to be filled in. A template page reads from a database. In a very simple gallery let's say you would have one column in your database for the artists name and one for the filename of the image. Each row is a new renderings with an artist name and a file name.

On the template page you define a connecton to the database and ask the database to find all the renderings that match a specfic query. Like, show me all the rendering that are done by Nisus.

This information is sent to the server, finds the renderings that are done by Nisus, then populates the placeholders on the temlate page with the results from the data found by the query. Once the placeholder are filled it sends the completed HTML page back to your browser.

So the template page may look like:

The file name is = (Filename)

The Artist is = (Artist)

and the information that get rendered to your bowser is:

The file name is = Nisusfile.jpg

The Artist is = Nisus

The power of using server side programming is of course MUCH more robust and powerfull than this, but is gives you an idea of what it is for. The biggest banefit of using Server side programming languages is that your webpage data is all in a database. You can call this data however you want and spit it out to a page in an infinite number of ways.

The programming langauge you use is like the differnce between using MAX or Lightwave. They both create renderings, but use differnt commands and have their strenghts and weaknesses.

Well there you have it Server Side programming 101. Now I better get back to work. :)

Hi jeff,

tnx for your explanation! I think I know why our own page is taking some time to update as a few lads are making a database like you described.

But what do all these letters stand for? ASP, PHP and some others? (Don't need to explain in detail, as I understand your comparison between rendering software very well)

tnx again

nisus